LOGO-L> Tones
Author Message
 LOGO-L> Tones

     I can understand how the ability to use wave frequencies to call tones in some forms of Logo allows flexibility, IF the tone produced really matches the prescribed frequency.  But most musicians that I know can't recall the wave frequencies for any note except maybe A = 440 becasue of it's use for pitch and tuning in the orchestra.
     Many of the musicians I know use the 12 tone scale where every tone that is used is simply numbered whether it is a half step or a whole step (1=C#, 2=D, 3=D#, 4=E).  This works very well with fretted instruments where the tone advances a half step with each fret.  Of course others use the number of the note in a given scale.  In the key of C, 1=C, 3=E and 5=G.  Anyway, it seems like the 12 tone scale makes a lot of sense if you aren't a physicist.

Sun, 29 Dec 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 LOGO-L> Tones
Quote:

> I can understand how the ability to use wave frequencies to call tones
> in some forms of Logo allows flexibility, IF the tone produced really
> matches the prescribed frequency.  But most musicians that I know can't
> recall the wave frequencies for any note except maybe A = 440 (snip)
> Anyway, it seems like the 12 tone scale makes a lot of sense if you
> aren't a physicist.

Gary...that's sort sort of my point. It's exactly because of the link
between physics and music that I prefer frequency values to MIDI values.
I rarely use the TONE primitive to score MicroWorlds projects; the Melody
Editor, CDplayer and Microphone are all better suited.
But direct access to the mathematics of frequency allows for exploration
and experiment with Pythagorean intervals, temperament, and musical
embodiments of other mathematical ideas - a 'classic' turtle geometry
tree, that generates proportionately congruent tones as it goes is one
such.
Logo music is more about being a luthier or composer than about being an
instrumentalist; designing and building scales rather than using a
predertermined one....

cheers

Jeff

Sun, 29 Dec 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 LOGO-L> Tones
Quote:

> One advantage of Gary's use of Notes command compared with the Melody editor
> is its ability to play more than one note simultaneously to create a cord. I
> liked that.

Yeah, it's great. But it's down to MWpro supporting polyphony, you can't
do it in MW2.0
Jeff

> > > I can understand how the ability to use wave frequencies to call tones
> > > in some forms of Logo allows flexibility, IF the tone produced really
> > > matches the prescribed frequency.  But most musicians that I know can't
> > > recall the wave frequencies for any note except maybe A = 440 (snip)
> > > Anyway, it seems like the 12 tone scale makes a lot of sense if you
> > > aren't a physicist.
> > Gary...that's sort sort of my point. It's exactly because of the link
> > between physics and music that I prefer frequency values to MIDI values.
> > I rarely use the TONE primitive to score MicroWorlds projects; the Melody
> > Editor, CDplayer and Microphone are all better suited.
> > But direct access to the mathematics of frequency allows for exploration
> > and experiment with Pythagorean intervals, temperament, and musical
> > embodiments of other mathematical ideas - a 'classic' turtle geometry
> > tree, that generates proportionately congruent tones as it goes is one
> > such.
> > Logo music is more about being a luthier or composer than about being an
> > instrumentalist; designing and building scales rather than using a
> > predertermined one....

> > cheers

> > Jeff

Mon, 30 Dec 2002 03:00:00 GMT