Something new to think about
Author Message
 Something new to think about

   We were goofing off in the Logo class tonight and  one student
discovered the butfirst command which, in turn, got us talking about
lists. Then we started playing with lists of logo statements and found out
we  could do things like:   make "a [fd 100 rt 90] repeat 4 :a   and
make "a [100 0 0] setpc :a   I haven't noticed much programming on the
forum  that looks like this, but then maybe people have been doing it and I
just wasn't  paying attention. Regardless, it gave us something new to
think about. Wonder  where it could lead us...   Tom

LogoForum messages are archived at:
< http://www.*-*-*.com/ ;
http://www.*-*-*.com/

< http://www.*-*-*.com/ ; Yahoo! Terms of Service.

Mon, 27 Sep 2004 11:39:33 GMT
 Something new to think about

Quote:

> We were goofing off in the Logo class tonight and  one student
> discovered the butfirst command which, in turn, got us talking about
> lists. Then we started playing with lists of logo statements and found out
> we  could do things like:   make "a [fd 100 rt 90] repeat 4 :a   and
> make "a [100 0 0] setpc :a   I haven't noticed much programming on the
> forum  that looks like this, but then maybe people have been doing it and I
> just wasn't  paying attention. Regardless, it gave us something new to
> think about. Wonder  where it could lead us...   Tom

> LogoForum messages are archived at:

>   Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the
> <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> Yahoo! Terms of Service.

This is one nice feature about LOGO.  Since the second input for
commands like repeat and if, are just a list of commands.

Here is another interesting program.

to test_proc

   print [Please enter a list of commands to repeat 4 times]
   repeat 4 readlist

end

This neat little feature is also one of the reasons that a LOGO
compiler would be difficult to implement.  Either this feature would
have to be removed, or a copy of the LOGO interpreter would have to be
included within the compiled program.

Take care,

Dan.

Tue, 28 Sep 2004 03:50:27 GMT
 Something new to think about
On Wed, 10 Apr 2002 20:39:33 -0700, "Woods"

Quote:

>   We were goofing off in the Logo class tonight and  one student
>discovered the butfirst command which, in turn, got us talking about
>lists. Then we started playing with lists of logo statements and found out
>we  could do things like:   make "a [fd 100 rt 90] repeat 4 :a   and
>make "a [100 0 0] setpc :a   I haven't noticed much programming on the
>forum  that looks like this, but then maybe people have been doing it and I
>just wasn't  paying attention. Regardless, it gave us something new to
>think about. Wonder  where it could lead us...   Tom

>LogoForum messages are archived at:

>  Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the
><http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> Yahoo! Terms of Service.

Yes, there was a section in my TI Logo II book about using RUN to
execute a series of commands (from a list). I do believe such was used
in Home Computer Magazine, back in the '80s, to do a spreadsheet in
Logo... very interesting stuff!

Tue, 28 Sep 2004 04:19:17 GMT
 Something new to think about

Quote:

>we  could do things like:   make "a [fd 100 rt 90] repeat 4 :a

to squiggle
localmake "angle random 180
localmake "step ifelse :angle < 90 [50] [10]
localmake "instructions (se "fd :step "rt :angle)
show :instructions
repeat 100 :instructions
end

to explore the relationship between angles and symmetry.  (The complicated
choice of STEP is to try to get the picture to be large enough to see but
small enough not to wrap around the screen.)

My solitaire program (ucblogo/csls/solitaire) is another example using
instruction lists in variables.  When you ask to move a card, the program
figures out one instruction to remove it from its current position, in
variable WHERE, and a list of instruction lists for all the possible places
to which the card could be moved, in variable ONTO.  It then does
        run :where
        run first :onto
to move the card.  (The reason for more than one destination in ONTO is
that the program has a command to use if you don't like where the card
ended up:
        make "where se "remshown last pop :onto
        run :where
        run first :onto
That first instruction constructs a new WHERE to remove the card from
the place where it was just moved, and also pops that first destination
out of :ONTO.)

Tue, 28 Sep 2004 05:02:12 GMT
 Something new to think about
Thank you, Dan, Brian and BJ, for your additional examples. I'll pass them
along to one of my students who will have fun making sense of them.

Tom

LogoForum messages are archived at:

Wed, 29 Sep 2004 09:05:41 GMT

1. aspect ratio (was: LOGO riddle/task/something to think about)

2. A thought about new:

3. I think Smallscript is my new favorite language...

4. Advice, please, on creating a new channel type (I think)

5. New security exploit combination, I think

6. Smalltalk in the UK -- something new?

7. Something new for the ugly page

8. Is BD is working on something new?

9. Something new undefined method

10. something new for M2

11. multiple files upload (maybe something new)

12. anyone got something to convert from old to new style Tkinter