LOGO-L> Re: TO 3D or not 3D?
Author Message
 LOGO-L> Re: TO 3D or not 3D?

5 years ago folks would of said the same about students do
today in logo or the computer in general.

If you believe 2D graphics is easy in Logo.
I claim MSWLogo's 3D is *relatively* just as easy for 3D.

But to say 3D can be done "better" is to say 2D can be done "better" as well.

2D Logo helps teach 2D Geometry.
3D Logo helps teach 3D Geometry EXACTLY the same way 2D does.

Use MSPaint for your 2D Drawing it's easier, but the student is not going to learn much.
Use a 3D package for your 3D Drawing it's easier, but the student is not going to learn much.

A 3D package will either do more for them and perhaps learn less, or do less
for them and be more complex. The level of 3D Logo is at the same relative level
as 2D Logo is. There is a certain level of knowlege one needs to do 2D Logo and there
is a certain amount of knowlege they will gain from it, 3D Logo is no different.
I think it's at the same perfect level 2D Logo is (where it's powerful, easy and
you can learn a lot from it).

Just as you can work anywhere along the scale of 2D Graphics complexity,
you can choose to work anywhere along the scale of 3D Graphics complexity.

And they overlap quite nicely. Almost everything you do in 2D applies in 3D.

Here are some examples from the lower end of the scale.
If if you don't have it loaded and running don't bother reading further.
Because the feedback you get (as you run it) is important. Just as it is
in 2D. If I gave someone 2D Logo code totally unfamiliar with Logo they
would say "how can a young child figure this stuff out".

I'm not stating what the right age is for 3D nor would I for 2D.

to all
turnon3d
messagebox [] [ok] cs square
messagebox [] [ok] cs rectangle
messagebox [] [ok] cs stairs
messagebox [] [ok] cs polysquares
messagebox [] [ok] cs polysquares2
messagebox [] [ok] cs spinsquares
messagebox [] [ok] cs flipsquares
messagebox [] [ok] cs polycube
messagebox [] [ok] cs cube
messagebox [] [ok] cs gridsquares
messagebox [] [ok] cs gridcubes
messagebox [] [ok] cs cubeofcubes
end

to square
repeat 4 [fd 100 rt 90]
end

to rectangle
repeat 2 [fd 50 rt 90 fd 200 rt 90]
end

to stairs
repeat 100 ~
   [
   rectangle
   fd 50 down 90
   rectangle
   fd 50 up 90
   ]
end

to polysquares
repeat 72 [square fd 100 rt 5]
end

to polysquares2
repeat 72 [square fd 100 down 5]
end

to spinsquares
repeat 72 [square rr 5]
end

to flipsquares
repeat 72 [square down 5]
end

to gridsquares
for [x 1 500 100] ~
   [
   for [y 1 500 100] ~
      [
      pu setxy :x :y pd
      square
      ]
   ]
end

to cube
repeat 4 [square fd 100 down 90]
end

to polycube
repeat 72 [cube fd 100 down 5]
end

to gridcubes
for [x 1 500 100] ~
   [
   for [y 1 500 100] ~
      [
      pu setxy :x :y pd
      cube
      ]
   ]
end

to cubeofcubes
for [x 1 500 100] ~
   [
   for [y 1 500 100] ~
      [
      for [z 1 500 100] ~
         [
         pu setxyz :x :y :z pd
         cube
         ]
      ]
   ]
end

to turnon3d
; This can be a library procedure
perspective
setturtle -1
setxyz 1000 1000 1000
setturtle 0
end

George Mills

http://www.*-*-*.com/

Tue, 07 Mar 2000 03:00:00 GMT

1. LOGO-L> 3D - Logo For Beginners

2. LOGO-L> 3d-logo -cosinudid

3. ? subroutine to check if a 3D point is in the 3D region or not

4. LOGO-L> 3d extensions to UCBLogo

5. LOGO-L> 3d isometric code in UCBLogo

6. LOGO-L> MswLogo ver 6.3d

7. LOGO-L> spherical coordinates in 3d

8. LOGO-L> using cylindrical coordinates in 3d

9. LOGO-L> using sphirical coordinates in 3d

10. LOGO-L> Simple Surfaces in 3D

11. LOGO-L> hiddenlines in 3D-turtle-programs

12. LOGO-L> Multi-Turtle in 3D