Constructivism Defined?
Author Message
 Constructivism Defined?

I want to thank those who offered comments on this. You have given me an
additional perspective in the curriculum development course I'm taking.

Which now leads me to this:

Quote:
> "One of the best ways to stifle the growth of an idea is to enshrine it in
> an educational curriculum"

This does not bode well for constructivism because it is appearing in
curicculum development curricula.

Tom

LogoForum messages are archived at:
http://www.*-*-*.com/

Mon, 29 Dec 2003 12:07:01 GMT
 Constructivism Defined?
An afterthought, as Edwin likes to say...    :-)

I was pulling a collection of quotations off the web for a student (I WISH
we could allow them to do this themselves) and encountered a quotation of
Anais Nin. I guess it's because I've had curriculum and constructivism on my
mind a lot  lately, but it struck like lightning,

"We don't see things as they are. We see things as WE are."

This is a profoundly constructivist statement about how we KNOW and how we
think our brains work as we make sense of our world. It might also be a
warning to us teachers about assessments and what they tell us.

What do others of you think? Is this a legitimate perspective for learning
and teaching? What are its implications for education? For curricula?

Tom

LogoForum messages are archived at:

Tue, 30 Dec 2003 11:10:54 GMT
 Constructivism Defined?

An afterthought, as Edwin likes to say...    :-)  I was pulling a
collection of quotations off the web for a student (I WISH we could allow
them to do this themselves) and encountered a quotation of Anais Nin. I
guess it's because I've had curriculum and constructivism on my mind a lot
lately, but it struck like lightning,  "We don't see things as they are. We
see things as WE are."
 It has always struck me as strange, perhaps arrogant, that when
programmers discover something un-anticipated they print an "Error msg",
rather than a "Feedback msg".  Bob Fiction is for those who cannot deal
with Reality; Reality is for those who cannot deal with Fiction!

LogoForum messages are archived at:

<http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> Yahoo! Terms of Service.

Thu, 01 Jan 2004 12:49:41 GMT

1. Constructivism Defined?

2. Can TPB be defined outside defining modules?

3. shadows of define and define-syntax

4. define in define-syntax

5. define-macro -> define-syntax

6. is define-syntax inside define-syntax OK?

7. define-macro vs define-syntax

8. Define in a define

9. Defining define (possibly a mad question)

10. Scheme macro source: define/keyed, for defining keyword-triggered arguments

11. Macros defining macros with define-syntax

12. Simple persistent object storage: seeking advice on storing user defined, runtime defined abstract datatypes into Oracle