LOGO-L> Why children can't read
Author Message
 LOGO-L> Why children can't read

In a message dated 11/7/99 12:37:37 AM Mountain Standard Time,

Quote:

> does this book offer any account of the fact that deaf people learn to
>  read?

Deaf people learn to read through whole-word techniques, of course -- they
have to.  People who *do* hear have the advantage of being able to connect
sounds and symbols.  Why not use that rather significant advantage, since
that sound/symbol relationship is the "code" of which our language is made?

Lori

Thu, 25 Apr 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 LOGO-L> Why children can't read

Quote:
> > does this book offer any account of the fact that deaf people learn to
> >  read?
> Deaf people learn to read through whole-word techniques, of course -- they
> have to.  People who *do* hear have the advantage of being able to connect
> sounds and symbols.  Why not use that rather significant advantage, since
> that sound/symbol relationship is the "code" of which our language is made?

Of course. But this is quite different to the claim that phonics is
somehow germane, and has a serial primacy in learning to read.

Jeff

Thu, 25 Apr 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 LOGO-L> Why children can't read

The deadline for the Logo competition is coming closer. If you still would
like to take part, please send your contributions to me or upload it
directly at the website.

Further information under: http://www.netlogo.org/html/project/netdays/

Fri, 26 Apr 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 LOGO-L> Why children can't read
No, the book doesn't explore the question of deaf people being able to
read,
Jeff. Thanks for raising this, I'll make some further inquiries about
it.

btw McGuinness doesn't support phonics as such (she is critical of some
aspects of phonics) but a system that she describes as Phono-Graphix.
But as you suggest she is saying that phoneme awareness is central
(primary) to learning to read. Perhaps I should summarise her research
evidence for this conclusion? (I'm still reading the book -- don't have
the full argument at hand yet)
-- Bill

Quote:

> > > does this book offer any account of the fact that deaf people learn to
> > >  read?
> > Deaf people learn to read through whole-word techniques, of course -- they
> > have to.  People who *do* hear have the advantage of being able to connect
> > sounds and symbols.  Why not use that rather significant advantage, since
> > that sound/symbol relationship is the "code" of which our language is made?
> Of course. But this is quite different to the claim that phonics is
> somehow germane, and has a serial primacy in learning to read.

> Jeff

Fri, 26 Apr 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 LOGO-L> Why children can't read
Quote:

> No, the book doesn't explore the question of deaf people being able to
> read,
> btw McGuinness doesn't support phonics as such (she is critical of some
> aspects of phonics) but a system that she describes as Phono-Graphix.
> But as you suggest she is saying that phoneme awareness is central
> (primary) to learning to read.

The simple fact of reading without any reference to sounds defeats any
assertion that phonic/phonemic knowledge is indispensible, or serially
critical in the reading process. This entire non-issue goes off the rails
every time when 'phonics' advocates make the opposite assertion, then mix
it in with a straw-man parody that they demonise as 'whole-language'.
For scripts like English, reading makes use of 3 things: Grapho-Phonic
information, Syntax(word order), and Semantics(meaning). Anyone involved
in assisting a beginning reader will obviously encourage the use of all
three. But all three work together in parallel, not serial.

Jeff

Fri, 26 Apr 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 LOGO-L> Why children can't read
Quote:

> whole language instruction is not whole to the extent that weaknesses exist
> in associating the correct symbol with a given sound.

Jim, this assumes that there is some monolithic 'sytem' called
whole-language, and that its practioners wilfully ignore the grapho-phonic
component of reading English...this is just not the case.
Quote:
>   When will this issue become understood?

By who? I know no one who denies that grapho-phonic awareness is part of
reading English.

Jeff

Thu, 02 May 2002 03:00:00 GMT

1. LOGO-L> Logo with young children

2. LOGO-L> Preparing children for Logo

3. WTD: 'ls -lR '->HTML code

4. LOGO-L> Why children can't read

6. Multi band report - parent >>child >>stepchild

7. LOGO-L> logo's speed

8. LOGO-L> Animated logo-gif's

9. LOGO-L> Programming ideas for children

10. LOGO-L> Re: Children, Games, and Learning

11. LOGO-L> Transforming how children play

12. >>>>>How to read a IMAGE file?(BMP, GIF)|||||||||