LOGO-L> copydef "fin "end
Author Message
 LOGO-L> copydef "fin "end

I'm trying to translate MSWLogo to spanish:

make "redefp "true
copydef "para "to
;no error message, works well

copydef "fin "end
I don't know how  to end

Even though both are "special forms".

Daniel

Sat, 13 Jul 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 LOGO-L> copydef "fin "end

Quote:

> I'm trying to translate MSWLogo to spanish:

> make "redefp "true
> copydef "para "to
> ;no error message, works well

> copydef "fin "end
> I don't know how  to end

> Even though both are "special forms".

Not so. TO is special form (you can find that in ucb-logo help system or
in usermanual).

End is not a procedure (of any kind), as far as I can see. It is
(probably) hardwired into the Logo parser, and has an immediate effect
in the scope of TO definition.
See "Brian Harvey: Computer Science Logo Style Vol:1, page 31."

So to translate "end , you'd probably have to tinker with the ucb-logo C
source.

Anyway, I don't se the point of translating Logo names to any language.
Translating ucb-logo help system, and usermanual is something else. Full
translation exists for Croatian (help files, and Texinfo usermanual),
and it integrates nicely with Gnu Emacs logo-mode. Doing the same for
Spanish would be of greater practical value than mutilating Logo itself.
Furthermore that kind of change would render Emacs logo-mode IDE
useless, as logo-mode depends on standard Logo syntax.
Specifically; syntax highlighting, process communication (sending
procedures to Logo), and code indenting would cease to work.

See: ftp://anarres.cs.berkeley.edu/pub/ucblogo/

... although you probably don't care about this, as you mention MSWLogo
only :-(

Sun, 14 Jul 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 LOGO-L> copydef "fin "end

Quote:

>copydef "fin "end
>I don't know how  to end

When you're typing procedure definitions to Logo (following a TO line),
the Logo parser isn't reading what you type.  TO just stores the lines
and waits for an END line.  This is why, for example, you can't have END
on a line that also includes other text.

If you look at a procedure text with the TEXT primitive, you'll see that
the END line was not stored as part of the definition.  PO fakes an END
line so that what you see looks like what you typed.

Mon, 15 Jul 2002 03:00:00 GMT

1. LOGO-L> Re: copydef "fin "end

2. "ls" of only hidden files

3. Enhancing "ls -l" file listing abilities

4. couldn't execute "ls": argument list too long

5. Read "ls" output into list variable

6. exec "ls" in remote directory

7. LOGO-L> copydef problem

8. Logo for MS-DOS ("rich logos")

9. string.join(["Tk 4.2p2", "Python 1.4", "Win32", "free"], "for")

10. utility to replace "end" with "end subroutine foo"

11. print "hello", >> file

12. Thinking about "print >>"