LOGO-L> european schools info
Author Message
 LOGO-L> european schools info

Last week I presented a 45 minute introduction to MW 2.0 at the
European Conference of International Schools Conference ( ECIS ) in The
Hague.  The Conference was attended by 2000 teachers administrators,
publishers, etc.  As a first time presenter I was slotted at a less
than ideal time, Sunday at 11 am  ( the conference began on Thursday ),
but still had about 30 people in attendance.  I showed a 30 minute
videotape of projects children in grades 1-4 had done with MW, some
basics of the program ( making a button, importing an image, use of a
slider, etc ) and actual footage of 7 and 8 year olds teaching one
another what they know about MW while working computers in the lab.

As I began I asked attendees a few questions.  With a show of hands I
learned about 75% knew or used Hyperstudio, 25% knew or had heard of
Logo, and only one person ( besides me ) had heard of MW.  I wasnt
surprised by this.  It is used in very few ECIS schools.

Reaction was to my presentation was good.  Most positive was the
response to work I do with children where they start with very basic
buttons on the screen  ( FD 50, RT 45, PD CG etc)  with a build up to
more advanced buttons ( REPEAT 6 [fd 40 rt 60] ) and finally to buttons
with programming which in some cases included sliders as
variables(grade 4).

There is genuine interest in MW from teachers in schools in Aberdeen,
Antwerp, at Southbank ( London ) and Brussels.  I will be in touch with
these schools in the coming months.  I understand it is being used in
Cairo and  Dusseldorf.

 I will be attending the ECIS Tech Conference in Istanbul in April and
will do a presentation there and have a chance to show MW to more
technology teachers and coordinators.  Is anyone interested in
presenting  or attending?  You would probably have to pay your way but
I would buy drinks by the pool...

Other thoughts...

I think MW suffers from an image problem because of its connection to
LOGO. Teachers remember Logo as the computer thing you actually had to
learn if you were to use it with children.  (This as opposed to
software which you could - and can - just toss into the computer and
let kids play )
What they dont know is that with the new interface it is easy to use
and just as powerful as it always was.

Having attended a HyperStudio workshop at the conference
I also see how superior MW is as a learning tool for children.  Yes
HStudio is a great piece of presentation wear and  flashy, but MW is
clearly better for children.  This makes me feel really good about the
work I am doing with kids and inroads I am trying to make into European
Schools.

What is needed is some marketing and exposure because teachers simply
dont know it even exists ( as evidenced by the results of my informal
poll - and this was at a workshop with people who are interested in a
and use technology ).  How is it marketed in North America?

It would have been nice to have DEMO discs or CDs to give out.  The
HyperStudio samplers were available in stacks after workshops in which
the software was used.  Does LCSI make demo discs?  Can I get ahold of
them?

Other things which HSt. offers are a netscape plug in and touch screen
capability.  HSt projects with link o relevant sites on the web were
impressive.  These feature would make the software more appeallin to
some.

All for now.  I would be interested in hearing thoughts of others.

Peter C. Cassidy
Lower School Tech Coordinator
American School in London

Sun, 21 May 2000 03:00:00 GMT