LOGO-L> Re: utilizing LOGO to develop logical thinking
Author Message
 LOGO-L> Re: utilizing LOGO to develop logical thinking

  The economic stat's in the report suggest that Costa Rica is looking for
a way to bolster their economy by getting onto the high tech playing field
in a big way. Couldn't an increased "national product" support the arts,
humanities and all the other non-technological parts of their culture?
Their experiment might seem monocultural but for a struggling economy, it
might hold out hope for lots of people now unemployed or underemployed.

Quote:
>> This means that the cost of providing computer instruction
>>($38 per student per year, or $114 over the three years of lower secondary
>>school) could be recouped by society if no more than 1 percent of all
>>secondary school students changed their profession from humanities to
>>engineering (e.g., the gain to society would be $23 per year for the entire
>>work life of a graduate).

>With friends like these, who needs enemies?

>I guess in the short run it might make sense for a relatively poor country
>to try for a bigger piece of the pie by pushing kids into engineering,
>but I would hate to think that that's the goal of our work.  In the long
>run it can't be right that the more engineers the richer we all get.

>And my goal as a teacher isn't to make anyone richer, anyway.

Jim Baker
Understanding begins with finding first principles.

Mon, 29 Apr 2002 03:00:00 GMT

1. LOGO-L> utilizing LOGO to develop logical thinking

2. LOGO-L> Developing logo

3. LOGO-L> Apple logo/MSW Logo

5. LOGO-L>Re: Cool math curriculae being developed

6. LOGO-L> Cool math curriculae being developed

7. LOGO-L> Logical Puzzle

8. : Re: LOGO-L> Logical Puzzle

9. LOGO-L> Logical Puzzle

10. LOGO-L> Thinking about the future

11. LOGO-L> Thinking aloud at sunrize time

12. LOGO-L> Welcome to logo-l