Seymour Papert and LOGO
Author Message
 Seymour Papert and LOGO

In bit.listserv.edutech we find the following posting: ( Any Comments?)

Subject: Seynour Papert

Quote:

"Mindstorms," and "The Children's Machine."<<<<

I personally believe that Papert is almost as over-hyped as the "super
highway." LOGO actually has very limited transfer of problem solving skills
unless implemented by HIGHLY trained instructors in very structured steps.
"Mindstorms" was the wrong book at the right time. Published in, I believe,
1980, it hit just as personal computers did. If timing is everything, then
Papert has everything! Other than the timing of "Mindstorms", I remain
unimpressed.

TyAnn Morehead
K-8 Technology Coordinator
New Hampton (Iowa) Schools

Mon, 11 Nov 1996 21:51:48 GMT
 Seymour Papert and LOGO

Quote:
> In bit.listserv.edutech we find the following posting: ( Any Comments?)

> Subject: Seynour Papert

> "Mindstorms," and "The Children's Machine."<<<<

> I personally believe that Papert is almost as over-hyped as the "super
> highway." LOGO actually has very limited transfer of problem solving skills
> unless implemented by HIGHLY trained instructors in very structured steps.
> "Mindstorms" was the wrong book at the right time.

So TyAnne, what would have been the *right* book at the right time. Of
course, all a programming language can be is a tool, and how you learn to
use the tool matters. Logo and its decendants, Microworlds--a version of
*(Star)Logo that runs only on the Connection Machine --Berkeley Boxer, and
so forth won't be the last word on learning tools, but isn't it great that
some people are working on this stuff. Wouldn't it be great if someone
invented calculus and symbolic logic accessible to young children. Logo is
Lisp for children. Boxer looks to be Smalltalk for young children. (Okay,
Smalltalk was supposed to be for young children but that's another story.)

Quote:
> Published in, I believe,
> 1980, it hit just as personal computers did. If timing is everything, then
> Papert has everything! Other than the timing of "Mindstorms", I remain
> unimpressed.

Actually, Microsoft Basic, in all its versions, was at the right place at
the right time. Wouldn't it be great if "easy Lisp" rather than "easy
fortran" had become the tool of the masses.

Regards, Gary
--
Gary E. Bloom                             SoftWorlds for Children

Voice/Fax 206.672.2107            Edmonds, WA 98020  USA

Wed, 13 Nov 1996 05:39:22 GMT
 Seymour Papert and LOGO
TyAnne,
        I'm a classroom teacher with 24 years experience at elementary.
If I was only allowed one piece of software for my machines it would be
logo.  I use the LCSI version called LogoWriter.  Papert's notions never
gained broad acceptance and it appears you may be one of the skeptics.
But my experience day in and day out is that this is one of th best
things to happen to the students I teach.  I have watched children become
quite engaged in learning.  I have watched as they gained instant
feedback on their work (ironed out the bugs).  I have watched them work
cooperatively as they solved complex problems and I have watched them as
they have proudly displayed their projects to their peers.
        I much prefer the tools I have to teach with today and logo is an
important one of them.
        I urge you to take another look at logo and Papert's ideas if not
for your own information, then for the sake of the children who depend on
your for the choices you provide them in their schools.
        I would recommend Papert's latest book to you.  It is titled: THE
CHILDREN'S MACHINE Rethinking School in the Age of the Computer.
        Papert has much to say to us educators and much of his message
has nothing to do with programming!
sincerely,
Chris Held

Fri, 15 Nov 1996 08:27:41 GMT

1. LOGO-L> Seymour Papert

2. LOGO-L> Seymour Papert's contribution

3. LOGO-L> Interview with Seymour Papert

4. LOGO-L> A Dr. Seymour Papert inteview

5. Interview with Seymour Papert

6. Seymour Papert...

7. Seymour Papert...technology to enhance learning...rich learning experiences says Gary Stager

8. Seymour Papert lecture, London, 2 June 1998

9. LOGO-L> Re: Logo, Papert and CMC

10. LOGO-L> Seymour on media

11. LOGO-L> Seymour Papert on Nightline last night

12. LOGO-L> Re: Seymour Papert in today's Los Angeles Times (fwd)