LOGO-L> Progression from easy uses of computers to logo
Author Message
 LOGO-L> Progression from easy uses of computers to logo

Quote:

> I just read a interesting article: "Computers in Schools: 10 Points to
> Avoid Past Errors" at
> http://www.*-*-*.com/

> The it is very short.  The summary says "There are good reasons to
> choose the easiest possible uses of computers at the early stages, and
> there are even stronger reasons to pursue relentlessly a policy of
> upgrading these uses as more experience is acquired."  Logo is mentioned
> as a worthwhile later use of computers after they have been introduced
> to teachers a drill and practice media.

I had a look at the article, and was left with the feeling that us teachers must be a very obstinate
group of people. The reasons for some difficulties in introducing computers in schools were attributed
to ill-prepared or unwilling-to-change teachers. If computers are going to mean more preparation time,
or potential embarrasment when something goes wrong then they are not used.
Perhaps the 4th point should be to provide teachers with the equipment, the time and a safe
environment in which to develop their own skills, gain experience and share the creative uses they
have discovered with colleagues. Teachers need time to play with the technology. Encouragement for
teachers to gain this experience in conjunction with their students would also help to break down the
fears of being seen as incompetent if unable to deal with  problems encountered.

The article is a depressing account of what actually happens with computers in schools. I would hope
that this lowest common denominator approach (or the bottom line ) is soon replaced by the results of
creative and enthusiastic teachers and students "progressively moving to more difficult but more
rewarding modes."

Neville Dinning

Mon, 18 Mar 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 LOGO-L> Progression from easy uses of computers to logo

Quote:

>I had a look at the article, and was left with the feeling that us
>teachers must be a very obstinate group of people. The reasons for
>some difficulties in introducing computers in schools were attributed
>to ill-prepared or unwilling-to-change teachers.

I didn't get that sense when I read it, rather I felt it pointed to problems
that affect us when we jump in over our heads.

Good teachers come in all flavors. Some probably (choke) prefer not to use
computers. I really do not like to use overhead projectors. Perhaps my
refusal to use that technology makes me obstinate and unwilling to change.
I'd hate to think that makes me a bad teacher.

Somewhere in here lies the issue of freedom to make choices for oneself.
That's important for both students AND teachers.

Tom

Mon, 18 Mar 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 LOGO-L> Progression from easy uses of computers to logo
The point of the article is that "hoping" is not going to change
anything.  Adminitrators, parents, university-types need to start with
the teachers where the teachers are and give them the time and resources
and skills they need to different style of teaching.

The article is a depressing account of what actually happens with
computers in schools. I would hope that this lowest common denominator
approach (or the bottom line ) is soon replaced by the results of
creative and enthusiastic teachers and students "progressively moving to
more difficult but more rewarding modes."

Tue, 26 Mar 2002 03:00:00 GMT

1. Progression from easy uses of computers to logo

2. LOGO-L> Re: Progression from easy uses of computers to logo

3. LOGO-L> Off-computer -- on to Logo

4. LOGO-L> Computer Camps but no Logo

5. LOGO-L> Computer Science Logo Style problem

6. LOGO-L> Using Logo

7. LOGO-L> Apple logo/MSW Logo

9. LOGO-L> Welcome to logo-l

10. LOGO-L> Re: Dynamic scope in Logo