LOGO-L> Re: Calculator
Author Message
 LOGO-L> Re: Calculator

Quote:
>Basically, *any* required assignment will be an imagination-limiter for some
>kids.  But leaving them to their own devices will be an imagination-limiter
>for other kids who need a little push in some specific direction to spark
>their creativity.  You just have to try to know your audience.

I totally agree with Brian's statement above.  That's why the "art of
teaching" is so important.

-John

John St. Clair   Vina Danks Middle School, Ontario-Montclair School District

logo-l moderator
Global Schoolhouse membership is open to all educators for **FREE**
To register and learn more visit http://www.*-*-*.com/
Find favorite educational links at   http://www.*-*-*.com/

Sun, 10 Mar 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 LOGO-L> Re: Calculator

Quote:
> For someone else, it might have been limiting.  But I don't see
> modelling reality as the only useful activity.  For example, I wrote
> a Pascal compiler in Logo. That's basically a glorified calculator,
> but it was a challenging project.

> Basically, *any* required assignment will be an imagination-limiter
> for some kids.  But leaving them to their own devices will be an
> imagination-limiter for other kids who need a little push in some
> specific direction to spark their creativity.  You just have to try
> to know your audience.

But there are thinks to learn that are more important than others. I
would rather have some kids understand something about how people
react in circumstances of stress (like the resent earthquakes) than be
experts in programming.

Thinks like:

I'm a computer guru but I underestimate the power of feedback because I'm
beginning to drink a little, yes just a little at first, because I'm stressed.

I'm a computer guru but my marriage is falling apart because I don't
understand the intricasis of the relationship I have with my wife.

I'm a computer guru but after the earthquake I keep on thinking I can
help more making programs than helping unburing people.

I'm a computer guru but I underestimate the power of inertia and drive 120
miles/h on a wet highway.

I think life management is crucial and should be learned (somehow) with
special priority.

Daniel

Mon, 11 Mar 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 LOGO-L> Re: Calculator

Quote:

>But there are thinks to learn that are more important than others. I
>would rather have some kids understand something about how people
>react in circumstances of stress (like the resent earthquakes) than be
>experts in programming.

I can appreciate this statement. There are many things I hope my students
learn. But how do you decide what's more important or less important for
another person? I have grown to believe that through our experiences we all
learn what we are ready to learn. Different students may learn entirely
different things from the same lesson/experience. One student may have the
same lesson/experience at different times and learn completely different
things depending on what he or she is ready to learn.

If a teacher approaches teaching by saying, "this is what I want you to
learn," then we get into an awkward situation because what a student is
ready to learn may not be anything at all close to what the
teacher/administration/school district/department of education wants him or
her to learn. Still, the student learns something (some will learn how to
cheat to get a good grade, how to make oneself really really small so no one
will notice you in the classroom, or how to just give the teacher what he or
she wants rather than to delve creatively into a subject).

Might it be alright for teachers to take the role of helper -- to help the
student form and pursue his or her goals by offering assistance and
providing experiences, and to accept, respect, and honor students' learning
whatever it may be?

I know this doesn't happen much in public education, but what if...?

I apologize if some think this is off topic, but I believe this has
everything to do with Logo learning, and a lot to do with why Logo has not
been widely accepted in public education.

Tom Woods
"We need to change EXPECT to RESPECT."   - J.T. Garrett

Mon, 11 Mar 2002 03:00:00 GMT

1. LOGO-L> Learning/Teaching BOTH was: Calculator

2. LOGO-L> Calculator

3. LOGO-L> setpenpat/calculator

4. LOGO-L> Apple logo/MSW Logo

6. Calculator cgi/Subnet calculator

7. Example Windows Calculator written in LOGO

8. WTD: 'ls -lR '->HTML code

9. LOGO-L> Welcome to logo-l

10. LOGO-L> Re: Dynamic scope in Logo

11. LOGO-L> INFO re SIG-LOGO