From: "Ben Ainsworth"

Sent: Wednesday, November 21, 2001 7:30 AM
Subject: [LogoForum] Double buffering in MSW LOGO

> The message below is being cross-posted from comp.lang.logo.  Please
> reply

> I am intending to use animation to teach  algebra to some of my students
> using MSW LOGO. However the program I've written flickers when the ball
> moves, what I really need is double buffering. Is there any way of
> implementing this in MSW LOGO?

> Thanks,
> Ben Ainsworth

Ben,

As far as I know, there is no way in MSW Logo to redirect graphic commands
to an off-screen buffer as in Java ... But there is a way to double-buffer
bitmap functions -- see the BITPASTETOINDEX command in the help file.  This
command allows you to paste a raster image from one bitmap into another
offscreen bitmap -- and then paste this off-screen bitmap onto the screen.

I have been tinkering with a motion program which simulates a particle
bouncing in a box -- it is still not complete and it has some obvious
bugs -- but it might suggest some ways to use BITPASTETOINDEX for
double-buffering, so I'll attach it to this message.  I tried to use a
bitmap for the turtle and then move the turtle to simulate motion -- but the
flicker was very obvious, especially for larger images.  So I  added
routines that use BITPASTETOINDEX to provide a bitmapped turtle.  If this is
what you're looking for, see the "buffer turtle" routines in this file.

Hope that this is helpful!

Paul Meyer

LogoForum messages are archived at:
http://www.*-*-*.com/

Attachment converted: Macintosh HD:motion.lgo (????/----) (00014A3C)

Tue, 11 May 2004 11:28:35 GMT
 Double buffering in MSW LOGO

See the NOFLICK.LGO example.

Quote:

> The message below is being cross-posted from comp.lang.logo.  Please
> reply

> I am intending to use animation to teach  algebra to some of my students
> using MSW LOGO. However the program I've written flickers when the ball
> moves, what I really need is double buffering. Is there any way of
> implementing this in MSW LOGO?

> Thanks,
> Ben Ainsworth

> LogoForum messages are archived at:

LogoForum messages are archived at:

Tue, 11 May 2004 11:28:59 GMT
 Double buffering in MSW LOGO

> The message below is being cross-posted from comp.lang.logo.  Please
> reply

> I am intending to use animation to teach  algebra to some of my students
> using MSW LOGO. However the program I've written flickers when the ball
> moves, what I really need is double buffering. Is there any way of
> implementing this in MSW LOGO?

> Thanks,
> Ben Ainsworth

Ben,

In case this is useful to you, I've cleaned up my program which models a
particle bouncing around in a box and I am attaching it to this message --
Perhaps it will be useful as a starting point for your animation.

Paul Meyer

LogoForum messages are archived at:

Attachment converted: Macintosh HD:motion.lgo (????/----) (00014BC1)

  motion.lgo
11K Download

Wed, 12 May 2004 13:35:35 GMT

1. Double buffering in MSW LOGO

2. LOGO-L> Apple logo/MSW Logo

3. Different behaviour - UCBLOGO, MSW-LOGO, TKTS-LOGO

4. Different behaviour - UCBLOGO, MSW-LOGO, TKTS-LOGO

5. LOGO-L> Re: MSW LOGO hardcopy

6. LOGO-L> msw logo: turtling

7. LOGO-L> RE: MSW Logo and Interfacing

8. LOGO-L> MSW-logo and values