The Family Center
Author Message
 The Family Center

Dale,

Re: The Family Center at http://www.*-*-*.com/
I was very interested to learn of this effort -- they have a very
appealing web site and several names I recognized on the Advisory
Council have a deep understanding of progressive education.  Thanks
for keeping us all informed about the exciting things happening in
the world.

-Chris Myers
Founder and Director
OpenWorld Learning
www.openworldlearning.org

LogoForum messages are archived at:
http://www.*-*-*.com/

Thu, 19 Feb 2004 22:58:35 GMT
 The Family Center

your students....  It helps... a little... but it is tricky to interpret
and use  this stuff in ways that are beneficial. I feel there is potential
for abuse  because they could be used to label a learner, or to explain a
"learning  problem" when really we should be looking for a "teaching
problem." That  they serve to remind us that we are all unique and one size
does not fit all,  that's a plus, but we knew that already, right?   Tom

LogoForum messages are archived at:

<http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> Yahoo! Terms of Service.

Sat, 21 Feb 2004 12:48:25 GMT
 The Family Center
Bob,

Thanks for sharing a few pearls from the Bright Horizons site
http://www.brighthorizons.com.  Do you by any chance have a source
for the quotation which I loved:

Quote:

>         Intelligence is not a single, unified, cognitive construct.
There are
>         multiple intelligences. The question is not "How smart is
this child?"
>         but rather "How is this child smart?"

I'm beginning to put together a collection of inspiring quotations we
can post in our labs and in our teacher training materials.

Yours,

Chris

Christopher Myers
Founder and Director
OpenWorld Learning
A Denver-based Non Profit Working to Close the Educational and
Digital Divide
www.openworldlearning.org

LogoForum messages are archived at:

Sat, 21 Feb 2004 12:35:59 GMT
 The Family Center

Bob,  Thanks for sharing a few pearls from the Bright Horizons site
<http://www.brighthorizons.com. /
eudora="autourl">http://www.brighthorizons.com. Do you by any chance have a
source  for the quotation which I loved: >         Intelligence is not a
single, unified, cognitive construct.  There are >         multiple
intelligences.
 This 1st is probably from one of Howard Gardners many books......
The question is not "How smart is  this child?" >         but rather "How
is this child smart?"
 this 2nd part could be from Gardner, but more probably from one of Dawna
Markova's many books. One is specifically titled: How Your Child Is Smart :
A Life-Changing Approach to Learning  by Dawna Markova, et al (Paperback -
September 1992)   BTW, One of her 1st books presents a really new paradigm
for looking at the traditional learning styles of Visual, Audio, &
Kinesthetic. Most paradigms like NLP try to label you as one of them, i.e.
V or A or K. Most people object because they can relate to all of them, but
some more strongly than others.   Dawna says we all have all 3, but use
them in different sequences, and its the sequence that is important! It
makes for a simple system, only 6 "types", VAK (me), VKA, AVK. AKV, KVA, &
KAV. I think this is a critical distinction, which I've been trying to
fully experience, but I keep getting distracted by the 50 or so other
emerging paradigms. :-)  The 1st book where she explains the system is: No
Enemies Within : A Creative Process for Discovering What's Right About
What's Wrong  by Dawna Markova (Paperback - May 1994)  She shows how
different problems of learning & expression come from a break in the smooth
flow from External to Internal & back. Eg. for me a VAK, when things are
going well :-) I start to learn by looking at words, pictures & diagrams V,
then translate those pictures to internal words A, and finally translate
those words from the internal chatter to well-linked together feelings K.
On the expressive side, I start with a powerful but vague feeling K, try to
verbalize internally, with a lot of chatter A, and finally express it in V
- words, & diagrams (Oh & Logo animations)!  Tom, This would be great for
understanding your students....  Also Edwin, it helps explain "resistance",
"laziness" etc.   a 3rd book of hers, is focused on homework, but could be
made to work for the classroom: Learning Unlimited : Using Homework to
Engage Your Child's Natural Style of Intelligence  by Dawna Markova, et al
(Paperback - August 1998)
I'm beginning to put together a collection of >inspiring quotations we  can
post in our labs and in our teacher training materials.
 Super idea, I often need inspiration to counter depressive thoughts, &
keep various quotes all over my wall, & sometimes on homemade bookmarks,
i.e. 3"x5" index cards.  Bob Fiction is for those who cannot deal with
Reality; Reality is for those who cannot deal with Fiction!

LogoForum messages are archived at:

<http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> Yahoo! Terms of Service.

Sat, 21 Feb 2004 12:36:56 GMT

1. The Family Center

2. Home and Family Software Promotion

3. Accessing Icon Family resources?

4. Family tree advice

5. Any Family Tree users?I need a Browse thumbnail screen

6. New addition to the Clarion Family

7. Template does not belong to correct family

8. Incompatible Family Error

9. Memory Leaks...Happens in the best of families

10. Home and Family Software Promotion

11. 8051 family Forths and Ethernet drivers

12. Forth for the 80C166 family