Web help
Author Message
 Web help

I posted a MicroWorlds Pro project on the web.  some computers get it
some don't.

The project is a maze.  Gary S. gave me info on how to change the maze
so that I can use the key board and not buttons on the page.  I am on
a PC and it seems as though my friend (on a Mac) does not have key
control.  Can anyone think of why?

If you would like to view the project...please do.  Any suggestions
are warmly welcome!

http://www.*-*-*.com/ ~lmcrupi/ed664/project/mwproject/indexmaze.
html

you may need the microworlds web player:
http://www.*-*-*.com/

THank you for your time.

Laura Crupi
Computer Teacher

LogoForum messages are archived at:
http://www.*-*-*.com/

Mon, 17 May 2004 14:37:26 GMT
 Web help
Laura
First up, the project is VERY big. At 456k it's at the upper limit of
viability to run over the www with the lcsi plug-in.
Still, I can get it going. But, I'm guessing that you have the arrow keys
programmed for Dos/Win(?)...one way around this could be to provide
alternative procedures for Mac or Win users, to be selected and invoked by
the user with a Button or similar. here's how the alternates could
look(the trick is in the different sets of ascii numbers for the 2
different machines:

*Mac
TO Direction :Key
IF (ASCII :Key) = 28 [ SETH 270]
IF (ASCII :Key) = 29 [ SETH 90]
IF (ASCII :Key) = 30 [ SETH 0]
IF (ASCII :Key) = 31 [ SETH 180]
IF :Key = "s [STOPALL]
END

That's set for a Macintosh...for Windows the set of ASCII numbers is:
if (ascii :key) = 72 [seth 0]
if (ascii :key) = 77 [seth 90]
if (ascii :key) = 80 [seth 180]
if (ascii :key) = 75 [seth 270]

These two procedures are made so that you could have a Turtle programmed
for Many Times. But the important part is the list of ascii
numbers that are the codes for the arrow keys...note that the key for the
letter 'S', which I've programmed as an emergency stop, doesn't need to be
translated to ascii for MicroWorlds to recognise it.
Your maze asks the user to click on the 'stop' icon in MWpro, which is not
displayed when the project is running over the www.

cheers

Jeff Richardson

Quote:
> I posted a MicroWorlds Pro project on the web.  some computers get it
> some don't.

> The project is a maze.  Gary S. gave me info on how to change the maze
> so that I can use the key board and not buttons on the page.  I am on
> a PC and it seems as though my friend (on a Mac) does not have key
> control.  Can anyone think of why?

> If you would like to view the project...please do.  Any suggestions
> are warmly welcome!

> http://hale.pepperdine.edu/~lmcrupi/ed664/project/mwproject/indexmaze.
> html

> you may need the microworlds web player:
> http://www.microworlds.com/webplayer/index.html

> THank you for your time.

> Laura Crupi
> Computer Teacher

> LogoForum messages are archived at:

LogoForum messages are archived at:

Mon, 17 May 2004 14:42:45 GMT
 Web help

Quote:

> *Mac
> TO Direction :Key
> IF (ASCII :Key) = 28 [ SETH 270]
> IF (ASCII :Key) = 29 [ SETH 90]
> IF (ASCII :Key) = 30 [ SETH 0]
> IF (ASCII :Key) = 31 [ SETH 180]
> IF :Key = "s [STOPALL]
> END

> That's set for a Macintosh...for Windows the set of ASCII numbers is:
> if (ascii :key) = 72 [seth 0]
> if (ascii :key) = 77 [seth 90]
> if (ascii :key) = 80 [seth 180]
> if (ascii :key) = 75 [seth 270]

> These two procedures are made so that you could have a Turtle programmed
> for Many Times. But the important part is the list of ascii
> numbers that are the codes for the arrow keys...note that the key for the
> letter 'S', which I've programmed as an emergency stop, doesn't need to be
> translated to ascii for MicroWorlds to recognise it.
> Your maze asks the user to click on the 'stop' icon in MWpro, which is not
> displayed when the project is running over the www.

> cheers

> Jeff Richardson

Another idea is instead of using a function, use a list to store the
ASCII values in.  And then you could use the same function.  Or
another idea is to use variables to store the values.

Example:

TO INIT_WIN
MAKE "GOUP 72
MAKE "GORIGHT 77
MAKE "GODOWN 80
MAKE "GOLEFT 75
END

TO INIT_MAC
MAKE "GOUP 30
MAKE "GORIGHT 29
MAKE "GODOWN 31
MAKE "GOLEFT 28
END

Then you could use the same direction function either way.

TO Direction :Key
IF (ASCII :Key) = :GOLEFT [ SETH 270]
IF (ASCII :Key) = :GORIGHT [ SETH 90]
IF (ASCII :Key) = :GOUP [ SETH 0]
IF (ASCII :Key) = :GOLEFT [ SETH 180]
IF :Key = "s [STOPALL]
END

Tue, 18 May 2004 04:36:31 GMT
 Web help
one could also use property lists
(init.dir has to be run when the program is loaded)

to direction :key
output gprop "dirs ascii :key
end

to init.dirs
(foreach [72 77 78 75] [0 90 180 270] [pprop "dirs ?1 ?2])
end

Quote:

--
Erich Neuwirth, Computer Supported Didactics Working Group
Visit our SunSITE at http://sunsite.univie.ac.at

Sun, 23 May 2004 20:52:53 GMT

1. FTP downloading from web-Help?

2. Web help - more feedback on maze project

3. Web help

4. Web help for TASM

5. COBOL on the Web....HELP!

6. WEB WEB WEB

7. Web Services help needed please

8. Web Server - Need some help to start me off

9. Help: Multiple web connection images on same box?

10. Need help by VAST Web Connection

11. Help with VAST 5.0 Web Connect

12. Help with Web enabling