New updates needed for an old computer language humor piece
Author Message
 New updates needed for an old computer language humor piece

The following wandered into my mail box for the first time in a year
or two.  Since I've been learning a bit of python this year, it seems
to me an update is needed.

For Logo, perhaps: Draw a foot, draw a gun, but the bullet comes out
the handle and misses the foot altogether.

        -Ric Werme

THE PROGRAMMER'S QUICK GUIDE TO THE LANGUAGES

The proliferation of modern programming languages (all of which seem to
have stolen countless features from one another) sometimes makes it
difficult to remember what language you're currently using. This handy
reference is offered as a public service to help programmers who find
themselves in such a dilemma.

TASK: Shoot yourself in the foot.

C: You shoot yourself in the foot.

C++: You accidentally create a dozen instances of yourself and shoot them
all in the foot. Providing emergency medical assistance is
impossible since you can't tell which are bitwise copies and which are
just pointing at others and saying, "That's me, over there."

fortran: You shoot yourself in each toe, iteratively, until you run out
of toes, then you read in the next foot and repeat. If you run out of
bullets, you continue with the attempts to shoot yourself anyways because
you have no exception-handling capability.

Pascal: The compiler won't let you shoot yourself in the foot.

Ada: After correctly packing your foot, you attempt to concurrently load
the gun, pull the trigger, scream, and shoot yourself in the foot. When
you try, however, you discover you can't because your foot is of the
wrong type.

COBOL: Using a COLT 45 HANDGUN, AIM gun at LEG.FOOT, THEN place
ARM.HAND.FINGER on HANDGUN.TRIGGER and
SQUEEZE. THEN return HANDGUN to HOLSTER. CHECK whether shoelace needs to
be re-tied.

LISP: You shoot yourself in the appendage which holds the gun with which
you shoot yourself in the appendage which holds the gun with
which you shoot yourself in the appendage which holds the gun with which
you shoot yourself in the appendage which holds the gun with which
you shoot yourself in the appendage which holds the gun with which you
shoot yourself in the appendage which holds...

FORTH: Foot in yourself shoot.

Prolog: You tell your program that you want to be shot in the foot. The
program figures out how to do it, but the syntax doesn't permit it to
explain it to you.

BASIC: Shoot yourself in the foot with a water pistol. On large systems,
continue until entire lower body is waterlogged.

Visual Basic: You'll really only appear to have shot yourself in the
foot, but you'll have had so much fun doing it that you won't care.

HyperTalk: Put the first bullet of gun into foot left of leg of you.
Answer the result.

Motif: You spend days writing a UIL description of your foot, the bullet,
its trajectory, and the intricate scrollwork on the ivory handles of the
gun. When you finally get around to pulling the trigger, the gun jams.

APL: You shoot yourself in the foot, then spend all day figuring out how
to do it in fewer characters.

SNOBOL: If you succeed, shoot yourself in the left foot. If you fail,
shoot yourself in the right foot.

Unix:

 % ls
 foot.c foot.h foot.o toe.c toe.o
 % rm * .o
 rm:.o no such file or directory
 % ls
 %

Concurrent Euclid: You shoot yourself in somebody else's foot.

370 JCL: You send your foot down to MIS and include a 400-page document
explaining exactly how you want it to be shot. Three years later,
your foot comes back deep-fried.

Paradox: Not only can you shoot yourself in the foot, your users can, too.

Access: You try to point the gun at your foot, but it shoots holes in all
your Borland distribution diskettes instead.

Revelation: You're sure you're going to be able to shoot yourself in the
foot, just as soon as you figure out what all these nifty little
bullet-thingies are for.

Assembler: You try to shoot yourself in the foot, only to discover you
must first invent the gun, the bullet, the trigger, and your foot.

Modula2: After realizing that you can't actually accomplish anything in
this language, you shoot yourself in the head.

--
"When we allow fundamental freedoms to be sacrificed in the name of real or
perceived emergency, we invariably regret it.   -- Thurgood Marshall

    http://www.*-*-*.com/ ;|       ^^^^^^^ delete

Tue, 18 May 2004 10:04:59 GMT
 New updates needed for an old computer language humor piece
(Will I be the first?  Not {*filter*}y likely! :-)

Quote:

> TASK: Shoot yourself in the foot.

[Note: I'm one of Python's biggest fans, but the
original was universally disparaging!]

Python: You fire the gun, but the bullet travels so
  slowly towards your foot that you get tired and leave.

Python: You insert the bullet into the gun but because
  there were actually TAB characters in the barrel instead
  of spaces, the gun jams with an IndentError.

Python: You try to load the bullet into the gun, but
  Guido pulls it away from you and gives you version 2.0.
  You try to load the bullet into that gun, but he pulls
  it away again and gives you 2.1 and the gun rejects
  the bullet.  You get another bullet and try again, but
  he gives you the beta for 2.2 and this time the bullet
  gets lost inside.

Python: You're new to shooting.  You start to load the
  bullet, but then realize the gun does not have a safety
  on it so you dutifully report your brilliant and original
  discovery in comp.lang.python and after the thread finally
  dies out you have forgotten to shoot yourself in the foot.

(I note wryly that in no case does Python actually
allow you to shoot yourself in the foot! <grin>)

--
----------------------
Peter Hansen, P.Eng.

Tue, 18 May 2004 12:00:30 GMT
 New updates needed for an old computer language humor piece
Quote:

>set -a COLT $CALIBRE $CALIBRE $CALIBRE $CALIBRE $CALIBRE $CALIBRE

OOOPS! That should be

set -A COLT ...

Tue, 18 May 2004 12:26:20 GMT
 New updates needed for an old computer language humor piece

Quote:

> You post this to a perl group and yet don't have one for perl ? *L*.. shame
> on you...

> I would write one myself, but I'm much to busy doing useless things like
> writing JAPH signatures that scroll Merry Christmas across the screen.. (see
> below).. *L*

> ---- -Begin Xmas Signature------

Ohhh, you set yourself up for this one! <grin>

TASK: Shoot yourself in the foot.

Perl:

Quote:

'Nuff said? :-)

--
----------------------
Peter Hansen, P.Eng.

Tue, 18 May 2004 20:59:21 GMT

1. New updates needed for an old computer language humor piece

2. looking for info ref OLD computer language thought to run on IBM

3. TRANSFERING CLIPPER PROGRAM FORM OLD COMPUTER TO NEW

4. TRANSFERING CLIPPER PROGRAM FROM OLD COMPUTER TO NEW

5. Help: Running old Clip Ver on 486 or newer Computers

6. looking for info ref OLD computer language thought to run on IBM

7. My old FORTRAN Powerstation 1.0 does not work on my new computer, in WIN98SE

8. Error in tps file update - Old Problem - New Try

9. Fortran for old Computer Automation mini-computers

10. updating old Tcl app: need Tcl_CmdBuf replacement

11. Announcement: ScriptV--a new language for computer graphics and animation

12. I need a list of names of every computer language ever created