MswLogo V3.2 for Microsoft Windows 3.0 and 3.1 uploaded to SIMTEL20
Author Message
 MswLogo V3.2 for Microsoft Windows 3.0 and 3.1 uploaded to SIMTEL20
I have uploaded to WSMR-SIMTEL20.Army.Mil and OAK.Oakland.Edu:

pd1:<msdos.logo>
MSWLGO32.ZIP    MswLogo x3.2: LOGO for Microsoft Windows 3.1
MSWEXT32.ZIP    MswLogo x3.2 extensions kit for Windows 3.0

Announcing MswLogo Version 3.2 for Microsoft Windows 3.0 and 3.1.

The "base kit" is for users with Windows 3.1.  The "extensions kit"
is for Windows 3.0 users.  The "extensions kit" is not a FULL kit, you still
need the "base kit" for any installation.  The "base kit" includes the only
documentation in Microsoft Windows Write (.WRI) format.  You can load it into
Write and print for any format you have drivers for including postscript.

mswlgo32.zip (base kit: Windows 3.1)
mswext32.zip (extensions kit: Windows 3.0)

New features/bugs fixed:

   o All fixes from UCBLOGO 2.9 are in. The main one being that
     test/iftrue/iffalse now works.

   o I've worked quite a bit on the Editor. It is much more tightly integrated
     with Logo. I believe it is Novice-Proof. Multiple Edit sessions are
     supported. See Help on Edit for more details.

   o The Editor will also Automatically bounce you back to the Editor if
     Your Edit could not load (less likely to loose the Edit).

   o Another nice feature in any development environment is context sensitive
     help. Well now you have it. In the Editor Double-click on left button to
     select a Keyword and Click on the Right Button and up comes Help
     on that Keyword :-).

   o The programmable windows scroller was flaky and is now fixed.

   o I don't know how or when this slipped in, but the active-area dialog
     box was broken and now working (again).

   o Double-click in Command Recall will now execute that line.

   o The Icon now works on the Commander. Sometimes what appears to be
     so simple can be a nightmare (the Icon on the commander took days
     to work right). And some things that appears complex, so easy (Logo
     itself does not have one line of code to support the Clipboard,
     it's all just there).

   o Pause now works when at Top Level.

   o Yield, NoYield, and Halt are available as logo commands.

   o One problem with MswLogo has been knowing if it's running or not
     when doing non-graphical operations. Typically the Hour-glass cursor
     is used for this. But this is not possible since the cursor can be used
     while it's running. I've added another "statistic" to the Status Window.
     It shows how many "Calls" (including calls to built in functions) since
     the last time you hit the Execute Button.

     It serves two purposes. One, you now have another measure to compare
     solutions. Second it acts as an indicator it is running. You may also
     ask why bury information, such as this in the popup window. The reason
     is performance and screen real estate.

   o You can now load Logo and Auto Start programs from the command line
     (similar to UCBLogo). The switch is "-l" (stands for Load). It MUST be
     the last switch on command line. For example:

     c:\logo>win logo -w 800 -h 800 -l c:\logo\mytest.lg

     You can also set these args in the properties of the Icon.
     This way you can have different Icons for different initialization
     sequences.

   o And as usual the Help file has had some work and still needs more.
     It's getting there.

   o Oh, And hopefully I did not{*filter*}up the Build for Multi-Media this time.

(Thanks to many folks for spotting many of these bugs, feedback is getting
better but I can always use more)

NOTE: Windows 3.0 users there is a separate executable for 3.0
      due to the MultiMedia enhancements which 3.0 does not have.

Standard features:

   o Supports Text in all available fonts and sizes.
   o Cut, Paste and stretching bitmaps.
   o Zoom.
   o Tail recursion.
   o User error handling.
   o "Standard" Logo parsing.
   o Floodfill.
   o Save and restore images in .BMP format.
   o 16.7 million pen and background colors (using windows dithering).
   o Supports color palette (256 solid colors).
   o Standard Windows Hypertext Help.
   o Standard Windows Printing.
   o Supports separate library and work area.

Recommended usage:

   o If your a ucblogo user and waiting for a windows version.
     Use it now, I think you'll like it.

   o If your a former mswlogo user and you, your child or students
     are happy with their progress and usefulness on mswlogo 2.4
     then stick with it for now. Once you've reached some of mswlogo 2.4's
     weaknesses (like limits in recursion, large programs hard to manage
     etc. then you may want to give it a try now).

Bugs / Basic Missing features:

   o Real mode is not supported.
   o Printing on (very few) printers still doesn't work.
   o Need arrow-key command recall.
   o Character cell operations missing, setcursor etc.
   o Online help that a younger user can understand.
   o User controlled buttons and dialog boxes.
   o Bugs you find.

   o If a bug is really bugging you or feature you really want to see done,
     say so, by sending me email. This will help me determine what's important.
     No promises, but it will help. I love any feedback good or bad.

Reporting bugs:

   an account on compuserve but I prefer internet mail (which is available
   on compuserv).

   if you think it's the core (or a possibility of the core). If you know
   it's related to the enhanced functions or the Windows front-end Brian
   probably won't care to know about it.

Sources:

   I apologize for not having source available yet. These quick interim
   releases were not planned. So I'm pushing the source release out to 3.4.
   But if you really really want sources for porting to Non-English language.
   Drop me some email. A lot of folks are interested in adding Floor turtle
   support. I have briefly looked into Peek and Poke to possibly allow these
   customizations to be done as a Logo program. But I've had little luck.

Minimum System Requirements:

   286 with Minimum of 2meg running Window 3.0 in Standard Mode.

Wish list:

   o Sound generation.
   o Multi-line Clipboard support.
   o Multiple Turtles.

George Mills

Mon, 28 Aug 1995 08:45:07 GMT

1. MswLogo 3.1 re-uploaded

2. Microsoft Fortran Powerstation 1.0 for windows 3.1

3. MswLogo V3.0 (Berkeley Logo for Windows) is now available

4. MswLogo (MicroSoft Windows) Logo Version 2.3 is available

5. MswLogo (MicroSoft Windows Logo) version 2.2 is available

6. MswLogo 2.4 (MicroSoft Windows Logo) is ready [Now with MultiMedia]

7. Windows 3.1 VxD with TASM 3.1 ?

8. TIDY - Fortran renumber/clean pgm uploaded to Simtel20

9. Addendum - Ada Compilers for Microsoft Windows 3.0

10. Ada compiler for Microsoft Windows 3.0

11. Ada compilers for Microsoft Windows 3.0?

12. Ada Compiler for Microsoft Windows 3.0