[MARKETING] Bitmapload vs Drag and Drop
Author Message
 [MARKETING] Bitmapload vs Drag and Drop

Quote:
> So, if you folks have any suggestions as to how I can
> sell more Logo Programming classes, then please post.

I have two questions and no real answers (yet).

1) What rots of projects did your students do with Logo?

2) With the coupons, how much was the single-user price for Terrapin
Logo?

I would say you should consider the course a great triumph if most of
the families decided to fork over more money to continue using
Terrapin Logo at home.  They may not be equipped to do Robolab at
home.

They may think, "Why should I take the Logo course again?  I've
already done that."  I assume if you are hoping for repeat customers
then you are trying to offer a more advanced and more enticing course
with an enticing name.

I have another question.  With Terrapin Logo, is there any way for
users to share their projects with those who have not purchased the
software (such as MicroWorlds's ability to place projects on the Web
for use with its free plug-in)?  If students feel that they can
create and SHARE their own games, simulations, etc., that is an extra
incentive.

Wendy Petti

LogoForum messages are archived at:
http://www.*-*-*.com/

Mon, 26 Apr 2004 13:36:50 GMT
 [MARKETING] Bitmapload vs Drag and Drop
Quote:
> If students feel that they can create and SHARE their own games,

simulations, etc., that is an extra incentive.

A *vital* incentive that is for sure!

But why isn't simply sharing the code to run on their own machines incentive
enough?  Different Logos(my copy of Imagine was delivered from merry ole
England yesterday) are not that much different from each other.  For
instance even I(a Bear of Very Little Brain) was able to translate Frank
Caggiano's Mandelbrot fractal into L3 where it runs much faster than it does
in "real" Logo.

But Wendy, your fundamental point is well taken.  Students of all ages must
be able to share their Logo creations with more than their own families.  I
have encouraged thousands of homeschoolers to join this LogoForum during the
last four or five years but I don't believe even one of them joined.

If there are any homeschoolers subscribed to the LogoForum right now would
you please say howdy?    Dale
---

LogoForum messages are archived at:

Mon, 26 Apr 2004 13:37:59 GMT
 [MARKETING] Bitmapload vs Drag and Drop

Quote:
> 1) What rots of projects did your students do with Logo?

> 2) With the coupons, how much was the single-user price for
Terrapin
> Logo?

> I would say you should consider the course a great triumph if most
of
> the families decided to fork over more money to continue using
> Terrapin Logo at home.  They may not be equipped to do Robolab at
> home.

> Wendy Petti

(1) My approach to Logo has not been project-based.  I serve it
straight up as a functional programming language.

(2) With the coupons, Terrapin is $29.95 + $7.00 S&H.  It does not
have a plug-in like MW Pro.

I used to just hand out the coupons and hope that they would order a
copy on their own.  Now I have stock on hand and close them on the
spot.  I profit not except for the thrill of closing a sale ... of
selling someone to the benefits of Logo.  Of course, they already
have MSW Logo for free.  (As soon as I can get my act together, I'll
put together a CD with freebies : MSW, ELICA, UCB, StarLogo, Scheme,
Squeak, NQC w/ RCXCC, Java, etc.)

AT THE PRESENT :
I have a course path that has several points of entry, depending on
the student's age and preference.  The most popular (about 20
sections a year) is "Basic Programming and Pre-Robotics" [6 hrs Logo,
8 hours Lego].  Another is called "Getting Ready for Computers" [2
hrs Logo, 2 hrs VB, 2 hrs Squeak].  I designed the former and
adopted/adapted the later.  These entry level programming courses are
pre-requisites to Logo I & II and Robolab I & II.  If the student has
had Algebra, then the pre-requisites are waived.

In the works, are courses in Squeak (under 14 yo) and Macromedia
Flash (over 14 yo). Squeak or Flash projects would be shareable as
both have powerful plug-ins.  The Flash programming class would have
photo-editing or animation as pre-requisites.

So, I serve a course path that leads to code programming,
robotics/engineering and web authoring.  The core is analysis, design
and programming ... in short, high-tech work (implied white-collar,
high paying, high IQ)!

They usually say, "I want to program my own game."  So I enjoin that
declaration as a commitment to working diligently on the difficult
and above-level tasks.  Alas, many gravitate to the kinestics of
robotics or flashy web animations.  (Aside : Someone ought to study
the digital "crayons to brush" developmental stages.)

IMO, less than 20% of these "Talented and Gifted" kids will become
computer science majors.  The rest are arming to go into their
respective fields with macro programming skills.  I'm happy that I
can help teach them the skills that would empower them in their
choices.  I only wish that I'd find more to share my turtle
infatuation!

Cheers,
:-)  edwin

LogoForum messages are archived at:

Thu, 29 Apr 2004 12:46:17 GMT

1. [MARKETING] Bitmapload vs Drag and Drop

2. Python vs Java : GUI, drag an drop

3. VS 3.1.2 Global Drag Drop

4. Drag and Drop - How to get what was dropped onto

5. Drag and Drop from non-List widgets?

6. Drag and Drop

7. drag-drop help please....

8. APL2000 Tree Control Drag & Drop

9. Visual (drag/drop) View Presenter Finder...

10. Drag and Drop question

11. OLE Drag and Drop

12. Drag & Drop from outside the app