Fwd: [LogoForum] Inspiring vs Selling of Constructivism
Author Message
 Fwd: [LogoForum] Inspiring vs Selling of Constructivism

This message is being forwarded from the LogoForum and originates from the
person listed below, not from John St. Clair.  It is necessary to forward
this message instead of redirecting the message (the usual procedure)
because of the way his/her name and address are listed in the message with
the address listed twice.  It makes the server that I use at MIT for
posting to comp.lang.logo {*filter*}and bounces the message back to me.

Begin forwarded message:

Quote:

> Date: Fri Feb 28, 2003  08:21:04  PM US/Pacific

> Subject: [LogoForum] Inspiring vs Selling of Constructivism

> I just finished a 6x1.5hr "Visual Math using Logo" class for 4th and
> 5th graders.  The student class evaluations were favorable.  That
> helps because my own class evaluation laments my struggle to inspire
> constructivism in the students.  I had to resort to down and
> dirty "selling" to persuade the students to "work".  It seems they
> would much rather be "welfare" recipients than self-empowered
> learners.

> Fortunately, they seemed to have caught onto constructivism on the
> very last class.  Too bad we had to be interrupted for a half hour
> while a regular class took a state mandated online test for reading
> comprehension.

> At first I thought we'd end up making tessalations.  After the second
> session, I switched to game making.  Creating patterns just wasn't
> grabbing their interest.

> Racing multiple turtles across the screen (and "betting" or rather
> guessing) which would win "sold" them.  Of course, after the initial
> procedures, progress ground to a painful crawl.  I suppose it would
> have been more inspiring if I had animated gifs of horses.  But then
> I don't gamble and had no wish to sponsor betting on ponies.  At
> least the activity helped to overcome mindlessness.  Maybe next time,
> I can try car racing.

> I think the novelty of the class and the chance to get out of their
> regular classrooms, kept them coming.  In my opinion, they wouldn't
> have come just for the turtle.  For many, the turtle is too simple
> for their tastes.  Ah, the Nintendo generation!

> Oh well...
> :-)  edwin

> LogoForum messages are archived at:
> http://www.*-*-*.com/

John St. Clair                          Global SchoolNet Foundation

Vina Danks Middle School                LogoForum moderator
Teacher of Logo and Lego                groups.yahoo.com/group/logoforum

Wed, 17 Aug 2005 23:27:37 GMT

1. Inspiring vs. Selling Constructivism

2. Inspiring vs Selling of Constructivism

3. Fwd: [LogoForum] Re: (Fwd) [apcs] Karel Goes Fishing!

4. LOGO-L> Constructivism (fwd)

5. Fwd: [LogoForum] Compiling logo sources

6. Fwd: [LogoForum] Is Logo Functional?

7. Fwd: [LogoForum] 3rd graders & Terrapin

8. Fwd: [LogoForum] GOTO in UCBlogo;MSWLogo

9. Fwd: [LogoForum] Any really small implementation of Logo??

10. Fwd: [LogoForum] Get Project

11. Fwd: [LogoForum] Re: java or C++ as first language

12. Fwd: [LogoForum] writing poetry