Daily summary
Author Message
 Daily summary

Can someone remind me how to switch over to receiving a daily summary of
forum posts?
Now that my new, un-asked for role prevents me from teaching Logo, I won't
need access to the details of every thread - but the daily summary will
allow me to stay in touch.

I assume that it will be just as easy to reinstate full participation if
(no - be positive Alan - when) I manage to find a new post which doesn't
hack away all the things I'm good at?

Bitter?
Who, me?

Nah.

LogoForum messages are archived at:
http://www.*-*-*.com/

---

Wed, 18 Feb 2004 20:31:22 GMT
 Daily summary
Alan, all the choices are here.
[ Edit My Membership ]
---

LogoForum messages are archived at:

Wed, 18 Feb 2004 20:31:50 GMT
 Daily summary
Cheer up Alan!  And keep you MSW Logo "hot" at home.  BTW, aren't you now in
a position to teach the teachers?

I recognize how much fun it is to be able to teach Logo directly to kids.
However, to spread the "gospel" one needs to attract more teachers to the
cause.  That was one of my major objectives this summer.  Unfortunately the
plan to offer professional development got shelved ... maybe till next
summer.

So, I'm hacking at a different approach.  Basically it's to create
applications in support of regular curriculum development.  I believe that
as the application base grows, so will the interest in basic programming.
In fact, I'm taking off to visit the  textbook warehouse for our school
district and taking a peek at all the materials for this upcoming year.  I
intend to target a lesson or two out of the newest textbooks and present the
exercise to a friendly teacher for sampling and testing.  If this works,
then I'm in business.

IF this works and I get overwhelmed with programming projects, then I'll
seek for paid consultants ... like you.  I intend to target the parent's
inate desire to empower their kids with all things computerized.  So
initially, the sales will come from the parents and not from the multi-year
school budget considerations.  The cost per exercise will be cheaper than an
hour of babysitting. In due time, an entire package of homework/drill
programs can be sold to the entire district for big $$$.

What do you think?

:-)  edwin

I assume that it will be just as easy to reinstate full participation if
(no - be positive Alan - when) I manage to find a new post which doesn't
hack away all the things I'm good at?

Bitter?
Who, me?

Nah.

LogoForum messages are archived at:

Wed, 18 Feb 2004 20:38:49 GMT
 Daily summary

Quote:
>aren't you now in a position to teach the teachers?

If only I was, Edwin. If only. Sorry, the school to which I've moved seems
to have a rather high proportion of technophobes on the staff. I wouldn't
have believed that in 2001 I could have attended an In Service Training
session only to hear and see several colleagues refusing to touch a mouse
in case they fused the computer - but it happened.

The best I can hope for at the moment will be to offer to demonstrate what
Logo is and what it can do - but even that will be some considerable time
in the future.

LogoForum messages are archived at:

---

Wed, 18 Feb 2004 20:42:20 GMT
 Daily summary
Alan,

There are lots technophobes amongst the teachers that I deal with here.
Although not as bad as to deny themselves access to a system for fear of a
mouse.

I suppose the rising demand will force the issue or need to teach CS courses
as early as possible. I have just finessed a proposal for an Advance
Placement Computer Science offering.  I referenced how many High School kids
took the exams in 1999.  Thus roughly postulating the demand for CS courses.

http://www.collegeboard.org/ap/computer-science/html/grade00.html

The stats show that well over 50% would be recommended as having met a
university freshman CS requirement.  These come from just the 2000+ high
schools that do offer A.P. CompSci A & AB.  With the Educational Testing
Service switching to Java in 2003-2004, there is rush to get teachers
trained.  Since that is not forthcoming, then programs like Saturday Academy
get to scoop up the cream.  I'm teaching a Java class starting the second
week of October.

I wanted to have Logo and Scheme as pre-requisites to the A.P. CompSci
class.  That was where the battle lines got drawn this summer.  I may end up
offering Logo only to elementary and middle school kids and use Java and VB
for the advanced, meaning "commercial" languages.  So in the lower grades, I
find lots of support and encouragement for Logo.  However, into the
apprenticeship years, it's no go to Logo.

Oh well,
:-)  edwin

believed that in 2001 I could have attended an In Service Training
session only to hear and see several colleagues refusing to touch a mouse
in case they fused the computer - but it happened.

LogoForum messages are archived at:

Wed, 18 Feb 2004 20:44:11 GMT

1. Out of Office AutoReply: Deja.Com Daily Summary: comp.lang.awk 1/ 1

2. Out of Office AutoReply: Deja.Com Daily Summary: comp.lang.awk 1/ 1

3. Out of Office AutoReply: Deja.Com Daily Summary: comp.lang.awk 1/ 1

4. Rule: Re: Deja.Com Daily Summary: comp.lang.clarion 1/1

5. Deja.Com Daily Summary: comp.lang.logo 1/1

6. Summaries of text (summary of info received)!

7. Summaries of text (summary of info received)!

8. Deja.Com Daily Digest: comp.lang.apl 1/1

9. Deja.Com Daily Digest: comp.lang.apl 1/1

10. Deja.Com Daily Digest: comp.lang.awk 1/1

11. $$ Millionaires created daily $$

12. Help with Farpoint Daily Planit