Constructivism
Author Message
 Constructivism

Here's a related question (to constructivism). We're having job interviews
to hire a new teacher and I will be asking candidates, "What does
'student-based' learning and instruction mean to you? How do you know it
when you see it? How might it turn up in your practice?"

After I formed this question, I began to wonder how I would answer it for
myself. Would any of YOU care to share your views?

Tom

LogoForum messages are archived at:
http://www.*-*-*.com/

Fri, 24 Jun 2005 09:46:00 GMT
 Constructivism
If learning is the process of making sense from experience, I'd provide
examples of the kinds of experiences and challenges I engineer that allow
students to construct their own meaning around important things, both
personally and through shared inquiry.

It's a process of setting the wonder alight and keeping a log of where and
how it burns. I'd talk about examples that demonstrate young people figuring
out what they think, in part by mindfully exploring the thinking of a whole
range of others.

  BJ

> Here's a related question (to constructivism). We're having job interviews
> to hire a new teacher and I will be asking candidates, "What does
> 'student-based' learning and instruction mean to you? How do you know it
> when you see it? How might it turn up in your practice?"

> After I formed this question, I began to wonder how I would answer it for
> myself. Would any of YOU care to share your views?

> Tom

> LogoForum messages are archived at:

LogoForum messages are archived at:

Fri, 24 Jun 2005 10:36:02 GMT
 Constructivism
Most of the people at the interviews said student-based learning and
instruction was synonymous with individualized instruction.  While
student-based learning must be highly individualized, the people seemed to
be saying that if you work at the student's level and provide instruction
in
a way that a student will benefit, that's student-based learning and
instruction.

There was one person who said it meant that you help the student learn what
he or she wants to learn. You know you're doing it when your students are
happy. When you practice it you spend a lot of time asking your students
what they want to achieve.

This is a little bit along the lines of what BJ wrote when she wrote about
engineering situations that allow students to construct their own meaning
around important things.

I guess for me it's about the source of the goals. If the goals come from
the teacher or the institution, and school work is directed toward those
goals, then it's not student-based. If the goals come from the student, then
it is.

In real life we have teachers working toward their goals and students
working toward theirs. Sometimes they conflict, sometimes they are in
harmony. I'm not sure yet how that fits in.

Tom

LogoForum messages are archived at:

Sat, 25 Jun 2005 12:20:53 GMT

1. Inspiring vs. Selling Constructivism

2. Inspiring vs Selling of Constructivism

3. Fwd: [LogoForum] Inspiring vs Selling of Constructivism

4. Constructivism

5. Constructivism

6. Constructivism in the real world

7. Constructivism

8. Constructivism

9. A testimony to Constructivism power...

10. Constructivism

11. Constructivism