Games Research = Logo Research
Author Message
 Games Research = Logo Research

   e I was trying to  track down the source of a research claim that 43% of
gamers are  female.  I wanted to see if the study broke it down into how
much time were  spent and what genres were played.  Well, I'm still
searching.   In the meantime, I  found this short article.   Try
replacing "games" in the  last sentence with "Logo".
http://www.*-*-*.com/ ;
<snip>The relation between information  technology and learning is a
subject that has received a lot of attention in the  last years. The
heading for this research has typically been 'edutainment' or
'play-and-learn'. The combination of play and learning is very fashionable.
But  rarely does the design and production of edutainment have roots in
research that  evaluates the potential for learning, which is after all the
intended goal.
Even though today we have a large  industry producing edutainment for
children, commercial games seem to be ignored  as a potential for learning.

It is a characteristic of games  that they often don't deliver knowledge in
a form that is easily measured or  evaluated by fixed standards. <end  snip>

Cheers,

:-)  edwin

LogoForum messages are archived at:
< http://www.*-*-*.com/ ;
http://www.*-*-*.com/

< http://www.*-*-*.com/ ; Yahoo! Terms of Service.

Fri, 05 Nov 2004 12:45:05 GMT
 Games Research = Logo Research
   Courtesy of Edwin: > It is a characteristic of  [Logo] that [it] often
[doesn't] deliver knowledge in a  form > that is easily measured or
evaluated by fixed  standards. <end  snip>   I forgot who it was on the
list who made  me start thinking about this important question differently
when he suggested  that instead of trying to find how logo learning
transfers to other areas,  we might be better off trying to find how
learning in other areas transfers to  logo. In other words, make Logo the
measure of one's ability to experiment,  solve problems, collaborate, etc.
rather than seek separate measures of what is  learned doing Logo.   Tom

LogoForum messages are archived at:

<http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> Yahoo! Terms of Service.

Fri, 05 Nov 2004 21:10:55 GMT
 Games Research = Logo Research
     That's  the ticket!  Use Logo to test student ability.  UCB, Terrapin
and  MicroWorlds ought to be great platforms to develop and deploy on Macs
or  PCs.   Cheers, :-)  edwin
Quote:

Re: [LogoForum]    Games Research = Logo Research   Courtesy of Edwin:   >
It is a characteristic    of [Logo] that [it] often [doesn't] deliver
knowledge in a    form   > that is easily measured or evaluated by fixed
standards. <end    snip>       I forgot who it was on the list who made
me start thinking about this important question differently when he
suggested    that instead of trying to find how logo learning transfers to
other    areas, we might be better off trying to find how learning in other
areas    transfers to logo. In other words, make Logo the measure of one's
ability to    experiment, solve problems, collaborate, etc. rather than
seek separate    measures of what is learned doing    Logo.       Tom    To
unsubscribe from
  this group, send an email

  use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of Service.

LogoForum messages are archived at:

<http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> Yahoo! Terms of Service.

Sat, 06 Nov 2004 11:45:00 GMT

1. Senior Research Asst., Research Officer or Senior R.O. position

2. Digital Research Logo

3. Logo is based on 1960s programming language research

4. Looking for research on LOGO

5. Research Positions at BRICS Research Centre and Int. PhD School

6. Research Positions at BRICS Research Centre and Int. PhD School

7. LOGO-L> Logo Game Projects

8. Need Help With Research Survey (REPOST)

9. 30th Actuarial Research Conference

10. Research Help Needed

11. APLBUG : Richard Woll : Senior Actuary @ Allstate Research

12. Help with APL research