addressing old (non NI) DAQ cards
Author Message
 addressing old (non NI) DAQ cards

I'm trying to use an old Metrabyte DDA06 analog/digital I/O board in labview.
The board has hex base address 300. I want to write to a 12 bit port with
offset
0 and 1, which in BASIC would be as simple as:
OUT &H300, DL%
OUT &H301, DH%

I cannot, however, figure out how to connect the base addres with a resource

name that VISA Open recognizes. None of the cryptic resource names that
VISA Find Resource identifies (ASRL1::INSTR,ASRL2::INSTR,ASRL10:) seem
to correspond to the DDA06 board. I get the following error message when
try to write the high and low byte to offset 0 and 1:
-1073807257     VI_ERROR_NSUP_OPER      The given session or object

        reference does not support

        this operation.
All information I have found so far always refers to adresses relative to
the
device base adress. And by the way: no, I do not have a Windows driver
enabling me to making Windows aware of the device by "Add new hardware".

Thank you in advance for de-mystifying LabView for me,

Dag Kristian

Mon, 11 Nov 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 addressing old (non NI) DAQ cards
Hi,

One thing you might try is to look at the KnowledgeBase article on accessing
the parallel port from NT
(http://digital.ni.com/public.nsf/3efedde4322fef19862567740067f3cc/c80...
094c296862565f3007ac765?OpenDocument).  The llb and zip files at the bottom
of this article can be used to talk directly to the parallel port by using
its address (like 0x278).  I have used the In Port.vi and Out Port.vi to
directly talk to hardware.  Perhaps you could adapt the code to write to and
read from your DAQ card.

Hope this helps.

Jim

Quote:

> I'm trying to use an old Metrabyte DDA06 analog/digital I/O board in
Labview.
> The board has hex base address 300. I want to write to a 12 bit port with
> offset
> 0 and 1, which in BASIC would be as simple as:
> OUT &H300, DL%
> OUT &H301, DH%

> I cannot, however, figure out how to connect the base addres with a
resource

> name that VISA Open recognizes. None of the cryptic resource names that
> VISA Find Resource identifies (ASRL1::INSTR,ASRL2::INSTR,ASRL10:) seem
> to correspond to the DDA06 board. I get the following error message when
> try to write the high and low byte to offset 0 and 1:
> -1073807257 VI_ERROR_NSUP_OPER The given session or object

>         reference does not support

>         this operation.
> All information I have found so far always refers to adresses relative to
> the
> device base adress. And by the way: no, I do not have a Windows driver
> enabling me to making Windows aware of the device by "Add new hardware".

> Thank you in advance for de-mystifying LabView for me,

> Dag Kristian

Mon, 11 Nov 2002 03:00:00 GMT

1. Problems running an application with non NI DAQ cards

2. Problems running an application with non NI DAQ cards

3. Problem installing older NI-DAQ version

4. MAX and non-NI cards

5. labview NI DAQ application with no daq hardware

6. Reading Virtual Channel Names from NI DAQ configuration file (*.daq)

7. Locating the memory address range of a network card MAC address

8. NI-DAQ memory problem

9. NI-DAQ

10. Macintosh USB Support in LV/NI-DAQ

11. ErrorsI after NI-DAQ 6.9.1 Upgrade