PCI 6024E used in stepper motor control
Author Message
 PCI 6024E used in stepper motor control

Dear Sir,
For controlling the Stepper motor the only thing that is to be
controlled is the pulses given to the stepper motor.The next thing is
changing the pulses to another set of stator poles.My idea is that I
will generate finite controlled pulses using the D I/O and output it
to the stepper motor via current and voltage amplifier.If I get proper
ckt. that increases the current capacity and amplifies the volatge
then I think we can control the stepper motor speed the only problem
that remains is that the pulses have to be sent to alternate poles. I
am unable to think of any system which alternates the pulses to
another set of poles. Please feel free to give your advice as I am not
very experienced. I am very sure you will add your valuable
suggestions and comments.
Thanking you
Himanshu Mishra

Mon, 18 Oct 2004 19:26:24 GMT
 PCI 6024E used in stepper motor control
Hello;

I'm not sure if I got the issue correctly, but by my understanding you
need to send digital output pulses to one set of poles, and then do
the same operation for another set of poles. If the number of digital
lines needed for pole is up to 4, you can use the first 4 lines to
output data to the first set of poles and the last 4 lines to do the
same operation on the other set.

If each set of poles requires more than 4 lines, you will need 2 DAQ
boards to accomplish that.

Hope this helps.
Filipe A.
Applications Engineer
National Instruments

Fri, 22 Oct 2004 22:17:54 GMT
 PCI 6024E used in stepper motor control
Filipe,

He would not be sending one set of pulses and then another.  He needs
to send two (I think) simultaneous pulse trains to two sets of
alternating poles.  The duration and frequency of the pulse train
controls speed while the amount that the two pulse trains are out of
phase controls the direction.  I do not remember the exact
relationship, maybe someone in your motion control group could shed
some light.

Wed, 08 Dec 2004 03:28:47 GMT
 PCI 6024E used in stepper motor control
The 6024E has 8 static DIO lines and 2 counter IO lines.  Since the
DIO lines are only software controlled, you probably will not be able
to switch the lines fast enough to control a stepper motor, which can
require 10kHz or more depending on the desired velocity.  If you have
an amplifier that accepts STEP/DIR signals, you could use one digital
IO line to control the "DIR" line and one counter to output a pulse
train to control the "STEP" line.  The speed of the motor could be
varied by changing the pulse rate from the counter and the direction
controlled by switching the DIO line.

This would give you very basic contol of the motor.  You could control
2 motors with the 6024E, since there are 2 counters available, however
I would not expect very smooth results.

Regards,

Brent Runnels
Applications Engineer
National Instruments

Wed, 08 Dec 2004 03:09:13 GMT
 PCI 6024E used in stepper motor control
Thanks, Brent.  That is the info I couldn't quite remember.  I
personaly think he would be better off purchasing the amplifier that
accepts STEP/DIR signals.  He will probably spend MUCH more time and
money trying to develope his own circuit.

Wed, 08 Dec 2004 03:36:52 GMT
 PCI 6024E used in stepper motor control
Himanshu,

I believe that Filipe was incorrect. You would not be sending one set
of pulses and then another.  You need to send two (I think)
simultaneous pulse trains to the two sets of alternating poles.  The
duration and frequency of the pulse train controls speed while the
amount that the two pulse trains are out of phase controls the
direction.  I do not remember the exact relationship, maybe someone
out there with more stepper experience could give you the details.
Most stepper motor companies have driver circuits for their motors
that will accept digital control.

Wed, 08 Dec 2004 03:33:18 GMT

1. Stepper motor control using PCI 6024E card?

2. PCI 6024E stepper motor control

3. Controlling a stepper with 6024e?

4. stepper motor speed control

5. stepper motor control

6. Stepper Motor Control

7. Stepper Motor Control

8. stepper motor control

9. stepper motor controller

10. stepper motor microstep

11. stepper motor and NI6025E card

12. Driving stepper motor via parallel port