Writing hardware driver for own device
Author Message
 Writing hardware driver for own device

Hallo,

this one seems to become a bigger project, so let me explain.

I've built a device (in fact I bought a kit) which is capable to interface a
GPIB instrument to a LAN, in fact it's the same box like NI offers.
Now I want to make this device usable within VISA, so I don't have to write
some proprietary weird TCP/GPIB driver for each instrument which is hooked
to that box.
Now I found out that NI offers a special NI488.2 driver software for their
TCP/GPIB solution. I've expected this and hence I know which communication
layer my own driver has to be associated to. After all, I have to write my
own NI488.2 driver !
Now then, my questions

1. What is the exact structure of layers from LV Applikation down to a piece
of Hardware. I suppose it's Application-VISA-???/NI488.2/OS/BIOS/Hardware. I
believe that there is another level between VISA and NI488.2, maybe that
MAX, I don't know. Where can I get information or a specification about
that.

2. Since I know that my driver must be situated where NI488.2 is...what's
the specification for this driver? I need the information about how to
interface with the laer above and the layer below. NI should provide these
informations for hardware developpers, who want to develop a piece of
hardware operating under labview or better to say VISA.

Is there a VISA developper network or some newsgroup dealing with VISA
driver development ?

Please info, info, info...;-)

Oliver Friedrich

Tue, 12 Oct 2004 17:06:04 GMT
 Writing hardware driver for own device
Hello-

There are a couple of organizations that can help:
-vxipnp.org
-ivifoundation.org

These websites are dedicated to the open standards of VISA and IVI,
respectively.

Randy Solomonson
Application Engineer
National Instruments

Fri, 15 Oct 2004 22:32:09 GMT
 Writing hardware driver for own device
For VISA refer, http://www.vxipnp.org/aispecs.htm.
http://digital.ni.com/softlib.nsf/954feaeea92d90918625674b00658b83/f5...,
is a source code package for driver development for the GPIB-ENET/100.
This only works for NI boards though.

Fri, 15 Oct 2004 22:52:48 GMT

1. writing a device-driver

2. Writing Linux Device Drivers in Assembly ; Ch 3

3. Block-Device driver writing - Help !

4. Writing a device driver in TASM or A86?

5. programming peripherals = writing device drivers?

6. Write a device driver

7. need help on writing device driver with 32bits fat

8. Question about writing charactor device drivers for MSDOS

9. writing your own UMB driver??

10. Writing device drivers?

11. Writing a virtual disk device driver

12. write protect hd at device driver level