During serial port communication (writing/transmission) is...
Author Message
 During serial port communication (writing/transmission) is...

During serial port communication (writing/transmission) is it possible
to explicitly set the states of the RTS and DTR signals?  Do I have to
use a C++ routine?

I'm trying to interface labview with hardware connected to the serial
port that requires the states of RTS and DTR signals to be set during
communication as follows:

Signal          RTS  DTR
 Reset          0       0
 Logical '1'  1        0
 Logical '0'  0       1
 Standby     1       1

During data transmission the recommended signal stream format is as
follows (the wait ensures that one of signals is always "on"):

            Standby   |     '1'    |  Wait     |   '0'     |  Wait
            |   '1   ' |   Wait...
            _____________________            _____________________
RTS _|                                               |_____|
            ________             ___________________
            ________
DTR _|                  |_____|
|_____|

The recommended time for the '1', '0' and 'Wait' states is at least
0.5ms.

Exactly how could this signal be generated in LabVIEW.  If I simply
used the Serial Port Write.vi would it meet this specification? Would
it be simpler to write the routine in C to do this?

Thanks for all your help.

-Don

Thu, 13 Nov 2003 14:22:12 GMT
 During serial port communication (writing/transmission) is...
I never used it, so I don't know what is the performance of it, but
there is a VISA property node with which you can set or reset the
individual lines of the serial port.
Go to the Functions>>Instrument I/O>>VISA>>VISA Advanced palette and
drop a Property node on you diagram, then wire it to a VISA open set
for example to ASRL::1INSTR for COM1, then right click on the property
node and choose Properties >> Modem line settings: inside it there are
items for DTR and RTS lines.
Hope it helps.
Roberto

Fri, 14 Nov 2003 12:42:35 GMT
 During serial port communication (writing/transmission) is...
Hi Don,

I f you use VISA for the communication, you can access the individual lines
on the serial port using a property node.

Shane

mertaugh schrieb in Nachricht

Quote:
>During serial port communication (writing/transmission) is it possible
>to explicitly set the states of the RTS and DTR signals?  Do I have to
>use a C++ routine?

>I'm trying to interface LabVIEW with hardware connected to the serial
>port that requires the states of RTS and DTR signals to be set during
>communication as follows:

>Signal          RTS  DTR
> Reset          0       0
> Logical '1'  1        0
> Logical '0'  0       1
> Standby     1       1

>During data transmission the recommended signal stream format is as
>follows (the wait ensures that one of signals is always "on"):

>            Standby   |     '1'    |  Wait     |   '0'     |  Wait
>            |   '1   ' |   Wait...
>            _____________________            _____________________
>RTS _|                                               |_____|
>            ________             ___________________
>            ________
>DTR _|                  |_____|
>|_____|

>The recommended time for the '1', '0' and 'Wait' states is at least
>0.5ms.

>Exactly how could this signal be generated in LabVIEW.  If I simply
>used the Serial Port Write.vi would it meet this specification? Would
>it be simpler to write the routine in C to do this?

>Thanks for all your help.

>-Don

Fri, 14 Nov 2003 15:21:46 GMT

1. trouble with serial communication (serial port init.vi)

2. Problems with serial transmission speed when using 4 ports at the same time

3. Serial port: determine end of transmission?

4. Serial Port Communication

5. Re Communications 'Serial Port'

6. Serial port communication under Visual ST

7. Serial port communication with win95 and VW2.5

8. Serial Port Communication

9. serial port communication

10. serial port communications / chip reader

11. Communication with Serial Port

12. VI Serial port communication unlike HYPERTERMINAL (Agilent 33250A)