Reading a data file from a very remote data
Author Message
 Reading a data file from a very remote data

Hi all,
This question is similar to others I have read, but I was wondering
how to obtain a text file off remote computers. Some of these
computers are connected to a WAN and some are not, is it possible to
be able to obtain these files through some means or not (I believe
hyperterminal is currently used for some aspects - but dont hold me to
that) . I currently am just a learner and am unsure if this possible.
I only have labview 5 at present and am unsure if it will have all the
tools necessary to complete the vi. Any suggestions and instructions
would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Jack

Wed, 26 Jan 2005 20:14:25 GMT
 Reading a data file from a very remote data
Hi Big Jack!

That's a good question.  I have a few suggestions.

I am assuimg that you want to somehow automate the file retrieval
process.  By that, you want a LabVIEW program that will retrieve the
file for you (otherwise, a simple answer to your question would be to
simple "copy the text file to a floppy disk").  Here are some ideas:

1.  If both computers are in the same LAN (I have never used a WAN
before, sorry, but it might work in a WAN, too), then you could write
a VI on the retriever machine that uses the COPY function to copy the
file directly from the remote PC.  But you'll need to specify the full
file path (in "named pipes" format) like this:

\\machine_name\C\folder1\filename.txt

2.  Another option would be to use Datasockets.  If you run the
Datasocket Server on the remote machine, its possible to read remote
text files.  For info, see:

http://digital.ni.com/public.nsf/3efedde4322fef19862567740067f3cc/0ca...

You can also use Datasockets to retrieve text files from HTTP and FTP
servers.  But then the machine where the text file is located must be
running an FTP or HTTP server.  For info, see:

http://digital.ni.com/public.nsf/3efedde4322fef19862567740067f3cc/f3c...

3.  Another option would be to write some code on the "source" machine
that would copy the file to some other location to make it available
for the "retriever" machine.  For example, you could write a VI that
periodically copies the text file to a specific location like an FTP
Server.  Datasockets can also be used to WRITE text files to FTP
servers.

Fri, 28 Jan 2005 16:24:17 GMT
 Reading a data file from a very remote data
P.S.  The above suggestions assume that you want to write some code to
retrieve the file.  If this is a simple one-off manual operation, than
you could simply try connecting to the remote machine using Windows
Explorer or Internet Explorer somehow.

If you can see the machine in your Network Neighborhood, try typing
the following in the address bar of Windows Explorer:

\\remote_machine_name\c$

Fri, 28 Jan 2005 16:27:46 GMT
 Reading a data file from a very remote data
Using it as though it is a lan did not work unfortunately. Maybe it is
not a wan after all. I am using tcp/ip and have found some interesting
reading that will get and keep me going. Datasockets, I am fairly
unfamiliar with what these are and how they work, but if my next idea
doesnt work i may look into it.
Thanks for your troubles
Big Jack

Sun, 06 Feb 2005 17:18:47 GMT
 Reading a data file from a very remote data
Sorry, JC and John, JC - I was using your comp earlier so it stored my
name - Sorry mate - Ill buy you a beer after work

Sun, 06 Feb 2005 17:52:23 GMT

1. Read VFP data files into Clipper data files

2. help reading negative values in data file - test code and test data

3. I have 100 data files, I want to join them together as one data file

4. Unix Data files vs DOS data files

5. non-gridded ASCII data file to netCDF data file

6. I want write data to TestStand from LavView and Read data from LabView to TestStand

7. Read-only data and write-once data

8. Reading a binary file / writing binary data to a file

9. Fortran Data Input Problem-sample data and READ stmt

10. Ms SQL fileerror 22001=String data, right truncation when I fill data into file

11. Using file data transparently as internal data?

12. How to recup data with Access or Excel from Cobol Data with *.ISM and *.IDX file