Using ActiveX DLL in LV 6.1
Author Message
 Using ActiveX DLL in LV 6.1

Hello,

we are using Visual Basic 6 to proramm an ActiveX DLL as middle tier
Database Access Component. In labview we made a LLB for Database
Access using the VB6 ActiveX Dll.
Everytime we modify (add or change) the Interface of the ActiveX DLL
and recompile it with VB6 we have to adjust the Automation Refnums in
Labview in every SubVI.
Is there an easier way to do this - or is it possible to automate this
task ?

Thanks for your help

Michael

Sat, 30 Oct 2004 17:31:29 GMT
 Using ActiveX DLL in LV 6.1
Hi,

You can access the ActiveX dll as a dll is stead of an automation component.
This is a bit more complicated to program (but just a bit, since the dll has
known prototypes), but will resolve the problem.

Btw. The general idea behind COM is to be backwards compatible, are you sure
there isn't a way to give the new component the same name as the old? I
think there should be a way in VB to set the registry key named
'VersionIndependentProgID' to define this name.

Hope it helps,

Wiebe.

Quote:
> Hello,

> we are using Visual Basic 6 to proramm an ActiveX DLL as middle tier
> Database Access Component. In Labview we made a LLB for Database
> Access using the VB6 ActiveX Dll.
> Everytime we modify (add or change) the Interface of the ActiveX DLL
> and recompile it with VB6 we have to adjust the Automation Refnums in
> Labview in every SubVI.
> Is there an easier way to do this - or is it possible to automate this
> task ?

> Thanks for your help

> Michael

Sat, 30 Oct 2004 18:20:46 GMT
 Using ActiveX DLL in LV 6.1
You need to change the Version Compatibility to Binary Compatibility.
In this mode VB does not change the GUID ever time build the dll.  If
you make a change to the ActiveX dll, though, you will always need to
remake the dll, however, if you use the above mode the executable
should still reference the same GUID.

Tue, 07 Dec 2004 04:05:28 GMT

1. Does the activeX server in LV 6.1 use the progID or GUID to reference controls

2. Trouble with LV 6.1 on Linux using Comedi with RedHat 8.0

3. Using LAbView 6.1 ActiveX with ASP

4. Can i use the Yahoo Webcam application in Labview 6.1 using ActiveX control

5. VB program can find VF 5 DLL but not equivalent VF 6.1 DLL

6. LV 6.1 raise event programmatically

7. LV 6.1 + Windows XP taskbar

8. How do I set app revision in LV Pro 6.1

9. LV 6.0 runtime engine not found with labview 6.1

10. delete directory with files? LV 6.1

11. New LV 6.1 Queue's

12. Upgrade LV 5.1 --- 6.1 problem