Stepper motor control using PCI 6024E card?
Author Message
 Stepper motor control using PCI 6024E card?

Respected Sir,
It was very nice and kind of one of the friends to provide me with
stepper library,It would be further generous of you you if you could
provide me the following details:

How can a stepper motor be controlled with a PCI 6024E card?
What kind of Power drive would you recommend for a stepper motor of
four phase?
What are the connections that are to be made from the PCI 6024E (CB
68LP) connector block and the stepper motor via the power drive?
What are the drawbacks of the controlling the stepper motor with a PCI
6024E card?

Sat, 09 Oct 2004 14:00:02 GMT
 Stepper motor control using PCI 6024E card?
Hello;

To give you better a advise, I'd probably need more information about
the stepper motor and how that one can be controled.

Usualy, you can send some TTL pulses that will increase/decrease the
actual position of the motor. If that is the case, you probably can
use one of the counters of the board to generate the pulse train.

Regards
Filipe

Sun, 10 Oct 2004 22:48:04 GMT
 Stepper motor control using PCI 6024E card?
Dear Filipe,
Thanks for your answer,I would like to tell you in detail about the
stepper motor:
The stepper motor I am supposed to control is a 4 phase stepper motor
used to rotate the grating of a monochromator,it has 200 steps each
step corresponds to 0.02Angstrom.I just want that the monochromatoe
rotates at a particualr speed, I do not want any kind of feedback to
control the stepper motor. The current requirement of the stepper
motor is 1 Ampere.
I have the following questions w.r.t the stepper motor:
Can I interface the stepper motor directly to the CB 68 LP I/O board
(PCI 6024E card)?
Can I interface the PCI 6024E to the stepper motor without any damage
to the card?
Please guide me as to how I should proceed?
Since the motor I am using is a 4 phase motor then what kind of driver
will you suggest??
I want to avoid drivers and try and test the stepper motor directly
with PCI 6024E cards?
Please help me with this job.
Thanking you
Himanshu Mishra
IIT Kanpur

Mon, 11 Oct 2004 16:23:43 GMT
 Stepper motor control using PCI 6024E card?
Hi Himanshu,

Allow me to offer some input on your questions:

Quote:
>Can I interface the stepper motor directly to the CB 68 LP I/O board

(PCI 6024E card)?

Since the current requirement of your stepper motor is 1A, the DAQ
card cannot source enough current to drive your motor.  You would need
to have a driver circuit or motor amplifier to source the current
necessary to energize the coils in your motor.  If you are using the
digital lines on the 6024E card, the TTL high (+5V) can only output
13mA.  You can find this information in the 6024E manual at <a
href="http://digital.ni.com/manuals.nsf/MainPage?OpenForm&node=132020_US">ni.com/manuals</a>
and searching for the 6024E manual.

Quote:
>Can I interface the PCI 6024E to the stepper motor without any damage

to the card?

If you exceed any specifications to the DAQ card, you can damage the
board.  This is typically applying too much voltage or current
directly to the card.  If you are trying to use the digital output
ports on the DAQ card to drive the motor directly, it actually won't
work and should not do any damage.  Since the digital outputs cannot
source enough current, you will see that it will be unable to hold the
voltage.  It is not advisable to connect the motor directly to the
card without a driver circuit or motor amplifier.  You could
potentially damage the card if you accidentally short other components
or connect the motor up in other ways

Quote:
>Please guide me as to how I should proceed?
>Since the motor I am using is a 4 phase motor then what kind of

driver will you suggest??

The easiest way to drive a stepper motor is to use hardware that is
designed specifically for the application.  You can find such products
by visiting <a
href="http://sine.ni.com/apps/we/nioc.vp?cid=1506&lang=US">ni.com/motion</a>.

Quote:
>I want to avoid drivers and try and test the stepper motor directly

with PCI 6024E cards?

Unfortunately, the card cannot source that much current to drive the
motor.  You'll need an external power supply with driver circuit, or a
dedicated motor amplifier to have your motor turn.

Hope this helps!

Wilbur Shen
Web Support and Operations
National Instruments

Tue, 19 Oct 2004 06:14:08 GMT

1. PCI 6024E used in stepper motor control

2. PCI 6024E stepper motor control

3. stepper motor and NI6025E card

4. Controlling a stepper with 6024e?

5. stepper motor speed control

6. stepper motor control

7. Stepper Motor Control

8. Stepper Motor Control

9. stepper motor control

10. stepper motor controller

11. stepper motor microstep

12. Driving stepper motor via parallel port