Max length of VI file paths and file names
Author Message
 Max length of VI file paths and file names

Hi,

Is there a maximum allowed length of VI file paths and file names in
labview? I'm running LV 6.0.2i on NT and is trying to save a VI inside
a LLB and LabVIEW crashes each time. I have also tried to copy the VI
from the LLB to a temp folder with the Librarian VI, but LabVIEW
crashes as well. The total length of the file path is around 260
characters and I strongly suspect the file path length in combination
with LLB because when I use a shorter path the problem disappear. If I
use a long path without LLB (just regular VIs) a warning appear
"Invalid file name" instead of LabVIEW crashing.

Does anybody know the solution to this problem or must I use shorter
filepaths? Perhaps it depends on which platform I am running LV on?

Sincerely,
Mattias Ericsson

Sat, 28 Aug 2004 17:54:07 GMT
 Max length of VI file paths and file names
Mattias,

I can't find the exact information of the limits of filename lengths
in libraries in LabVIEW, but I am pretty certain it is 255 characters,
independent of platform.

Why do you need such long filenames.  There has to be a way to get
your filenames to a reasonable length.  I would consider this as your
solution, making shorter filenames that is.

If you contact NI, they can tell you the exact limit for filenames in
libraries.  I believe it is independent of platform.  However; I know
for certain that non-library filename length limits (system) are based
on the platform.

Sun, 29 Aug 2004 01:56:51 GMT
 Max length of VI file paths and file names

Quote:
> Hi,

> Is there a maximum allowed length of VI file paths and file names in
> LabVIEW? I'm running LV 6.0.2i on NT and is trying to save a VI inside
> a LLB and LabVIEW crashes each time. I have also tried to copy the VI
> from the LLB to a temp folder with the Librarian VI, but LabVIEW
> crashes as well. The total length of the file path is around 260
> characters and I strongly suspect the file path length in combination
> with LLB because when I use a shorter path the problem disappear. If I
> use a long path without LLB (just regular VIs) a warning appear
> "Invalid file name" instead of LabVIEW crashing.

> Does anybody know the solution to this problem or must I use shorter
> filepaths? Perhaps it depends on which platform I am running LV on?

I believe windows has a 255 character pathname (file+path) limit.  We once
had that problem because we had a long filename and a longer pathname.
Moved the directory up a couple levels and problem solved.

Mon, 30 Aug 2004 23:23:32 GMT
 Max length of VI file paths and file names
Misc Details -- I dont know if you can use them with labview???
MAX_PATH is either 255 or 260 depending on what version of windows you
are running.  also, in regard to extended file lengths:

from
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/file...

Process a path as a null-terminated string. The maximum length for a
path, including a trailing backslash, is given by MAX_PATH.
The Unicode versions of several functions permit paths that exceed the
MAX_PATH length if the path has the "\\?\" prefix. The "\\?\" tells
the function to turn off path parsing. However, each component in the
path cannot be more than MAX_PATH characters long. Use the "\\?\"
prefix with paths for local storage devices and the "\\?\UNC\" prefix
with paths having the Universal Naming Convention (UNC) format. The
"\\?\" is ignored as part of the path. For example,
"\\?\C:\myworld\private" is seen as "C:\myworld\private", and
"\\?\UNC\bill_g_1\hotstuff\coolapps" is seen as
"\\bill_g_1\hotstuff\coolapps".

Tue, 31 Aug 2004 00:09:14 GMT
 Max length of VI file paths and file names
Just to note.  LLB filename length is NOT a factor of the platform.
The LLB was created by LabVIEW to accomodate long filenames and odd
character useage to allow compatability of Windows to Macintosh
filename conventions.  LabVIEW was first available for the Mac, and at
that time, filename length limits for Windows, in their infinite
wisdom, was 8 characters (gee, do I ever remember trying to figure out
how to name files...).

Today, the LLB is fast becoming obsolete.  Nevertheless, the filename
length (I cannot confirm the limit for LabVIEW LLBs) is independent of
platform.

Tue, 31 Aug 2004 00:53:47 GMT

1. DOS File Lookup - just the file name, not the path AND file name

2. Making file path control only select directory paths not file names

3. Max length of file names?

4. Alias TPS with different path/file name than original file

5. parser API style - methods take path or file vs sep methods for path and file

6. Max length on file function

7. Max length of line in VRML file?

8. max length of line in source file

9. Length of File Name on MF-COBOL ???

10. COMMAND() and long file name path - BUG?

11. C4 ABC - System crashes when giving Full Path Name for a file

12. CW2.003 Report Writer - Using variable for file path/name