"Out Port.vi": passing from Windows NT 4.0 to Windows 2000
Author Message
 "Out Port.vi": passing from Windows NT 4.0 to Windows 2000

I have an labview program for controlling a custom board. The
application uses "Out port.vi" and "In port.vi" and it worked very
well under Windowns NT 4.0, LabVIEW 5.1.

Because of the system crash, Windows have to be reinstalled. We would
like to update to Windows 2000 with LabView 5.1.1. Would be the
recompilation of such a program "Trouble-free?" Or it is recommended
to keep Windows NT?

I tried my software on other machine with Windows 2000 and LabVIEW 6.i
and I get an error message "capability not supported" when "Out
Port.vi" was executed.

Thanks

Ferda

Tue, 09 Dec 2003 23:37:08 GMT
 "Out Port.vi": passing from Windows NT 4.0 to Windows 2000
In order to write to and read from memory addresses in WinNT you need
a special version of "In Port.vi" and "Out Port.vi".  These may be
found at the following URL:

http://zone.ni.com/devzone/devzoneweb.nsf/opendoc?openagent&2851D0A06...

Unfortunately, I have not been able to get them to work with Windows
2000

Wed, 10 Dec 2003 12:09:15 GMT
 "Out Port.vi": passing from Windows NT 4.0 to Windows 2000
Ferda,

Jim is right...you must use the AccessHW tools to attain In Port/Out
Port functionality in Windows NT and 2000.  These tools *should* work
ok for Windows 2000...

As for your other question, LabVIEW 5.1.1 is fully compatible with
Windows 2000.

Please respond if you have any more questions or problems.  Have a
great day!

Sincerely,
Darren Nattinger
Applications Engineer
National Instruments

Fri, 12 Dec 2003 23:34:57 GMT
 "Out Port.vi": passing from Windows NT 4.0 to Windows 2000
Dear Darren,

Finally, I tried to use "Out Port.vi" under Windows 2000 (the AccessHW
was added in NT as well as in 2000). It seemed to work (it means there
was no more error "capability not supported", however it did not work
(the result of reading a port using "In port.vi" was always 255,
regardless the value I expected.

The configuration of board was exactly in the same state as before
crash of Windows NT (no change of base address of board etc.). But it
is true that both boards (custom one and PCI-MIO-E-16E-4) were removed
and than reinstalled. The LabView program was without any change.

It is just my impression - I did not examine the problem very
carefully, so may be there was some other reason of failing.

But finally we decided to reinstalled NT, because of other (non-NI)
devices which are not supported by Win 2000.

Thank you. Regards

Ferda

Sat, 13 Dec 2003 00:17:05 GMT
 "Out Port.vi": passing from Windows NT 4.0 to Windows 2000
My company is starting to change from win95/NT to win2000. We use
LabVIEW5.1 as well and knew about the different versions of the In/Out
Port VIs to use as mentioned in the other two answers. One thing that
you may or may not have already found out is that there is a speed
factor hit you take when going from the 95 to the 2000. I'm guessing
that the time difference is in the different versions of the In/Out
Port VIs (due to the OS). For us, The In/Out Port access was 3-5 times
slower on the 2000. This may or may not impact your application SW
depending on how well it is coded (delay times or speed critical
timings). We are still in preliminary integration stages but other
than the timing issue in one program, it has been a somewhat
"Trouble-free" process.

Fri, 19 Mar 2004 22:15:37 GMT

1. port parallele sous windows 2000 and port.vi?

2. Windows 2000 "Net use" message redirection

3. Accessing I/O Ports in Windows NT/2000

4. Windows NT "AT" command

5. "Not a Windows NT program"?

6. "menu to" under windows NT

7. Windows NT systems "locking up" randomly

8. "open" on Windows NT

9. Windows NT "allways on top"

10. Hard links on Windows NT 4 and Windows 2000

11. "send" on Windows NT

12. Using "exec" under Windows 95/NT