Linux Port IO and Network Communications?
Author Message
 Linux Port IO and Network Communications?

I am considering using labview for Linux for an embedded single board
computer application but have little experience with Linux.

I have written a LabVIEW driver for the analog and digital I/O ports on the
single board computer using the I/O port VIs in Windows 98.  I seem to
remember discussion about a third party port I/O driver available for
LabVIEW for Linux.  Is this true and where can I get it?

What is available for network communications in LabVIEW for Linux?  Can you
use DataSocket?  I would like to have a centralized computer, possibly
running Windows, monitoring several of these embedded computers running
Linux.

Best Regards,

Neal Pederson, President, VI Control Systems
1923 Mendius Lane, Los Alamos, NM 87544
TEL: (505) 662-1461, FAX: (603) 388-4969

Sun, 28 Sep 2003 21:17:38 GMT
 Linux Port IO and Network Communications?

Quote:

> I am considering using LabVIEW for Linux for an embedded single board
> computer application but have little experience with Linux.

> I have written a LabVIEW driver for the analog and digital I/O ports on the
> single board computer using the I/O port VIs in Windows 98.  I seem to
> remember discussion about a third party port I/O driver available for
> LabVIEW for Linux.  Is this true and where can I get it?

> What is available for network communications in LabVIEW for Linux?  Can you
> use DataSocket?  I would like to have a centralized computer, possibly
> running Windows, monitoring several of these embedded computers running
> Linux.

> Best Regards,

> Neal Pederson, President, VI Control Systems
> 1923 Mendius Lane, Los Alamos, NM 87544
> TEL: (505) 662-1461, FAX: (603) 388-4969

Neal,

There are TCP/UDP vi's working on LV/Linux as well as Internet toolkit.
DataSocket client vi's are on LV6/Linux only (server is still
unavailable as far as I know).
There is also Xserver capabilities to send data securely to remote
client, so you can use even front panels from remote device application
on the host machine.

Port I/O may be used if you have appropriate port driver (e.g.
/dev/name.o). In another case you'll have to make some C coding for the
device driver.
I saw the mention and site like "open source CIN project", but don't
remember it's URL. There was Inport/outport vi available, made with CIN.
If I'll find it, will let you know.

Hope this helps,
--
Sergey Krasnishov
____________________________________

http://acs.levsha.ru

Sun, 28 Sep 2003 23:56:41 GMT
 Linux Port IO and Network Communications?

Quote:

>> I am considering using LabVIEW for Linux for an embedded single board
>> computer application but have little experience with Linux.

>> I have written a LabVIEW driver for the analog and digital I/O ports
>> on the
>> single board computer using the I/O port VIs in Windows 98.  I seem to
>> remember discussion about a third party port I/O driver available for
>> LabVIEW for Linux.  Is this true and where can I get it?

>> What is available for network communications in LabVIEW for Linux?
>> Can you
>> use DataSocket?  I would like to have a centralized computer, possibly
>> running Windows, monitoring several of these embedded computers running
>> Linux.

>> Best Regards,

>> Neal Pederson, President, VI Control Systems
>> 1923 Mendius Lane, Los Alamos, NM 87544
>> TEL: (505) 662-1461, FAX: (603) 388-4969

> Neal,

> There are TCP/UDP vi's working on LV/Linux as well as Internet toolkit.
> DataSocket client vi's are on LV6/Linux only (server is still
> unavailable as far as I know).
> There is also Xserver capabilities to send data securely to remote
> client, so you can use even front panels from remote device application
> on the host machine.

> Port I/O may be used if you have appropriate port driver (e.g.
> /dev/name.o). In another case you'll have to make some C coding for the
> device driver.
> I saw the mention and site like "open source CIN project", but don't
> remember it's URL. There was Inport/outport vi available, made with CIN.
> If I'll find it, will let you know.

> Hope this helps,

Here is URL:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/cin4labview/

--
Sergey Krasnishov
____________________________________
Automated Control Systems
National Instruments Alliance Member
Moscow, Russia

http://acs.levsha.ru

Mon, 29 Sep 2003 00:10:49 GMT

1. APL2 Network Communication

2. Network communication

3. network DDE communication

4. Applications communication without network adapter

5. HOW Network Communication in TSModula-2

6. Heterogeneous network communication and ADA

7. IPX NetWork communication

8. text-based network communication

9. non blocking mode for network communications

10. Communication Between Images in a Network

11. Network Communication via Smalltalk80

12. Who looked for IO-Port-Access (not ComP)