stepper motor controller
Author Message
 stepper motor controller

I have a couple of stepper motor controllers, intended to be driven from the
parallel port.  These control 3 stepper motors, with step and direction
pulses.  Any idea of how to control them with labview?
Normally the software that runs the motors slowly accelerates them, runs at
speed for a while, then slows down to avoid jerking, ending up at the
correct target location. Position and acceleration are inputs to the
software.

thanks.

Elliot Burke

Sat, 12 Jul 2003 13:17:09 GMT
 stepper motor controller
I control stepper motors with LABVIEW.
You need FlexMotion Vi :
- with load target position.flx, you can load target position
- with load velocity.flx, you can load velocity in steps/s ...

Elliot Burke a crit :

Quote:
> I have a couple of stepper motor controllers, intended to be driven from the
> parallel port.  These control 3 stepper motors, with step and direction
> pulses.  Any idea of how to control them with Labview?
> Normally the software that runs the motors slowly accelerates them, runs at
> speed for a while, then slows down to avoid jerking, ending up at the
> correct target location. Position and acceleration are inputs to the
> software.

> thanks.

> Elliot Burke

Sat, 12 Jul 2003 15:55:49 GMT
 stepper motor controller

Quote:
> I have a couple of stepper motor controllers, intended to be driven from
the
> parallel port.  These control 3 stepper motors, with step and direction
> pulses.  Any idea of how to control them with Labview?

If like our "home made" solution you only need to a high/low line for
direction and a pulse for a step from 2 pins on the parellel port for each
motor....  then you can easily write your own vi library to acess the
paralell port and step the motors.

Quote:
> Normally the software that runs the motors slowly accelerates them, runs
at
> speed for a while, then slows down to avoid jerking, ending up at the
> correct target location. Position and acceleration are inputs to the
> software.

No reason why you can't do this in your own vi either....

Peter

Sat, 12 Jul 2003 18:37:13 GMT
 stepper motor controller
I believe you can do this with LabView. Actually, LabVIEW has a set of
functions which can help quite a lot to program for motors. It is not hard,
tho you need to read bunch of materials and kick off the bugs.

Try Valuemotion series, that is good.

Best,
Fan

Quote:
> I have a couple of stepper motor controllers, intended to be driven from
the
> parallel port.  These control 3 stepper motors, with step and direction
> pulses.  Any idea of how to control them with Labview?
> Normally the software that runs the motors slowly accelerates them, runs
at
> speed for a while, then slows down to avoid jerking, ending up at the
> correct target location. Position and acceleration are inputs to the
> software.

> thanks.

> Elliot Burke

Sun, 13 Jul 2003 01:08:50 GMT
 stepper motor controller
Eliot,

I have various devices which are controlled by the parallel port. In all
these cases I directly write a byte (representing the on/off state of the 8
output lines of the par. port) to the base adres of the port (most times
348h). This can be done by using an vi called "out port" which can be found
in the functions palette under "advanced". If this solution works depends on
the way the the hardware of the stepper motor is build up. It can be that
for every direction and motor one bit is reserved, or that you just need to
send a specific byte for each setting.

Kind regards,

Pieter Bosstad

Quote:
> I have a couple of stepper motor controllers, intended to be driven from
the
> parallel port.  These control 3 stepper motors, with step and direction
> pulses.  Any idea of how to control them with Labview?
> Normally the software that runs the motors slowly accelerates them, runs
at
> speed for a while, then slows down to avoid jerking, ending up at the
> correct target location. Position and acceleration are inputs to the
> software.

> thanks.

> Elliot Burke

Sun, 13 Jul 2003 01:09:38 GMT

1. stepper motor speed control

2. stepper motor microstep

3. stepper motor and NI6025E card

4. stepper motor control

5. Driving stepper motor via parallel port

6. Stepper Motor Control

7. Stepper motor problem

8. Stepper Motor Control

9. stepper motor w/ FORTH

10. Stepper Motor driver question

11. I look for a vi which allows to drive a stepper motor drive

12. PCI 6024E used in stepper motor control