?Select vi's from different folders
Author Message
 ?Select vi's from different folders

Hi!

From the function palette I would like to have user defined "Select a
VI..."-like options
that shows the open dialog in a defined folder.
For example:
A user defined "Driver VI..." will open the folder where we store
drivers (on a network drive).
Likewise, "Tool VI..." opens the folders which holds the tool VI's and
"Project VI..." opens the folder
where the current project is stored. You get the point.

I hope that this can be done or at least solved in another way. I hope
to get some help for this one.
This would speed up the "tree walking" considerable.

Thanks,
Magnus Myhrberg
Ericsson AB
Boras
Sweden

Fri, 05 Aug 2005 20:40:46 GMT
 ?Select vi's from different folders
It sounds like you want to modify the function palette to add palettes
of VIs that you have created. This is very easy to do and is covered
in the documentation.

Mike...

Sat, 06 Aug 2005 00:02:32 GMT
 ?Select vi's from different folders
RTFM :-)

Quote:
> Hi!

> From the function palette I would like to have user defined "Select a
> VI..."-like options
> that shows the open dialog in a defined folder.
> For example:
> A user defined "Driver VI..." will open the folder where we store
> drivers (on a network drive).
> Likewise, "Tool VI..." opens the folders which holds the tool VI's and
> "Project VI..." opens the folder
> where the current project is stored. You get the point.

> I hope that this can be done or at least solved in another way. I hope
> to get some help for this one.
> This would speed up the "tree walking" considerable.

> Thanks,
> Magnus Myhrberg
> Ericsson AB
> Boras
> Sweden

Sat, 06 Aug 2005 00:39:38 GMT
 ?Select vi's from different folders
Nope, you don't understand the question !!!
RTFQA ... (FTF Question Again ;-)

I don't want to have acess to the VI's directly but the folder itself.
The solution with direct access to VI's is to slow, network drive with
lots and lots of VI's...
And that I KNOW how to do... I don't think its possible to have it my
way but hoppfully I'm wrong.

I want an Ikon to represent a folder (keyword is: open a "open a file"
dialog)!

So RTFM doesn't help so please spare me these kind of answeres...

--
Magnus Myhrberg Test Software Engineer
Ericsson AB

Sat, 06 Aug 2005 15:15:57 GMT
 ?Select vi's from different folders
Sorry, but there's no way to bring up a custom dialog box. The closest
you can get was my previous suggestion. The only other thing to do is
try and find a utility that modifies the default file dialog box to
incorporate a list of folders you have been to recently. (and you need
one that works better than the one built into windows XP--it's way too
slow to be useful).

Mike...

Sat, 06 Aug 2005 22:18:44 GMT
 ?Select vi's from different folders
Mike is correct.  You can not add a dialog window to the functions
pallette.  I like the idea, though.

Sun, 07 Aug 2005 00:21:47 GMT
 ?Select vi's from different folders
Thanks for you input Mike.
That would do too you know, modifying the dialog but I'm not aware of
any way to do that... but sometimes software can surprise you!

I've been in contact with local NI support and they will contact the
NI in the US. Maybe they could add this option in an updated version
of LV. You can always day dream...

Magnus Myhrberg, Test Software Engineer
Ericsson AB
Boras
Sweden

Sun, 07 Aug 2005 18:52:23 GMT
 ?Select vi's from different folders
I may not fully understand the question either, but here are two
ideas.
1. In your My Documents folder, create shortcuts to the folders on the
network drive.  You may want to place these shortcuts in their own
folder, e.g. "LabViewDrivers" or "__LabViewDrivers" if you want it to
show up at the top of a name-sorted list.  When you go to Select a VI,
there's an icon bar on the left with My Documents on it, so it's
always easy to get to My Documents.  Then the shortcuts will save you
some tree navigation.
2. Create folder shortcuts in the user.lib folder (C:\Program
Files\National Instruments\LabVIEW 6.1\user.lib).  Next time you start
labview, when you go to the User Libraries palette, you'll have an
icon for the shortcut (.lnk file) and you can browse to anything below
that.

Sun, 07 Aug 2005 21:56:08 GMT
 ?Select vi's from different folders
1) I'm sorry to say but we are running Windows NT 4 :(

2) Doing this causes LV to scan through the whole folder and
subfolders and add an ikon for each VI found. That doesn't work for us
'coz we have for an example 1000+ VI's in our Drivers folder located
on the network (rather slow and running ClearCase).

Thanks for trying to help Al, #1 is the one that could have work if we
was running anything better than NT4, I guess.

--
Magnus Myhrberg, Test Software Engineer
Ericsson AB
Boras
Sweden

Mon, 08 Aug 2005 15:16:06 GMT

1. Selecting diferent sub Vi's from main VI

2. Call different files in different folder

3. Strings between different VI's.

4. convert's labview 6.1 vi's to labview 5.1 vi's

5. VI's GUI events disturb another VI's work

6. Get app to look in different folder

7. Is there a way I can configure LV To pick user controls from a different folder

8. RB 4.02 Select Folder Problem

9. Select File or Folder

10. select folder

11. SHBrowseForFolder with a pre-selected starting folder

12. OODialog Tree view for selecting a directory/folder