Is labview effective in handling synchronous serial port...
Author Message
 Is labview effective in handling synchronous serial port...

Is labview effective in handling synchronous serial port flow?  Are
there specific vi's just for synchronous data?

Mon, 13 Oct 2003 01:44:27 GMT
 Is labview effective in handling synchronous serial port...
I recently found out that my setting the LabVIEW.INI-parameter
SyncVisa=True
my CPU usage went down from 25-30% to 0-5 %,
so by default (no sync), the VISA routines obviously does
not work effectively on serial comm, it seems to me.
PS: this program has a lot of serial communication, on many ports.
It scares me that this poorly documented parameter can have such a dramatic
effect on my program.
Martin

Quote:
> Is labview effective in handling synchronous serial port flow?  Are
> there specific vi's just for synchronous data?

Mon, 20 Oct 2003 15:25:34 GMT
 Is labview effective in handling synchronous serial port...
You can use seial port VIs for synchronous serial port flow. Use
serial line ctl.vi with the function 'Set RTS'.This will make the RTS
line of the serial port active. you can now send data in frames,using
any communication protocol such as 'Modbus' in which there is a field
called frame continuation character. For all the data frames keep this
field same except for the terminating frame. After the final frame is
sent you can use serial line ctl.vi again to make RTS line low using
'Clear RTS'. Now the port is ready to recieve serial data. The VIs in
smplserl.llb are very useful for serial communication.

Mon, 10 Nov 2003 17:17:14 GMT
 Is labview effective in handling synchronous serial port...
Thanks for the info...it all helps me capture ideas for a unique
project.  However, either I'm blind or just don't know, but where is
the 'serial line ctl.vi' which you quoted?  Thanks, Doug

Mon, 10 Nov 2003 22:31:46 GMT

1. Is labview effective in handling synchronous serial port...

2. WANTED: SilverComm library to handle serial port

3. Serial port handling XP/W98 differences?

4. Problems with Labview 6i and serial port/visa

5. I having trouble using a serial i/o port with LabVIEW

6. address / irq of serial ports (labview 4.0 / windows 98)

7. serial port in labview

8. LabView grabs all available serial ports

9. Using serial Ports in LabVIEW

10. Help: Serial Port+NT4+LabVIEW

11. How to open Serial Port in LABVIEW (mac)?