universal USB Driver for Labview
Author Message
 universal USB Driver for Labview

There are currently no VI's designed to communicate through USB.  The
reason is this:  It is best not to think of USB as a serial port, but
rather as a bus. It is like asking when there will be a "PCI Read.vi"
and "PCI Write.vi". The protocol for talking to a USB device is
specific to each device. You have to open up some channels to the
device (how many is specific to the device), and then you have to peek
and poke values over those channels in a device-dependent way. I have
heard of some users trying to use USB by direct register access or by
accessing the windows low level USB API, but I don't know how
successful they were.

Wed, 01 Oct 2003 02:45:43 GMT
 universal USB Driver for Labview
Hello Everybody,

I'm using labview 6i and I want to communicate to an Microcontroller over
the USB interface. I never heard about a Driver-Libary for LabView which can
be used to send Data over the USB Interface. Is such an Driver available for
LabView?
The only USB Driver I found on the National Instruments home page are Driver
for specific USB Devices like DAQ-Cards etc. But this doesen't help me.

It would be great, if somebody know something about this.

Thanks a lot

Robert

Mon, 29 Sep 2003 17:41:13 GMT
 universal USB Driver for Labview

Quote:
> There are currently no VI's designed to communicate through USB.  The
> reason is this:  It is best not to think of USB as a serial port, but
> rather as a bus. It is like asking when there will be a "PCI Read.vi"
> and "PCI Write.vi". The protocol for talking to a USB device is
> specific to each device. You have to open up some channels to the
> device (how many is specific to the device), and then you have to peek
> and poke values over those channels in a device-dependent way. I have
> heard of some users trying to use USB by direct register access or by
> accessing the windows low level USB API, but I don't know how
> successful they were.

But the same is true for TCP/IP etc.Now you mention it: why isn't there a
way to communicate to the PCI bus?

Ferry

Mon, 20 Oct 2003 14:45:06 GMT
 universal USB Driver for Labview
Hi Robert,
Here's something that might help.
I have got a device called a LabJack.  go to www.labjack.com
These guys will know what you are talking about as the LabJack
interfaces to LabVIEW (and other things) via USB.  They have written
USB Code Interface Nodes for LabVIEW.
Glenn

Mon, 15 Mar 2004 10:34:58 GMT

1. Is there an Universal USB Driver for LabView available?

2. USB Driver for LabVIEW

3. USB Drivers for labview and the FTDI chips

4. Driver for OBD II Universal Automotive On Board Data Link

5. Need Help with USB Drivers

6. Driver for USB Web-camera?

7. Driver for USB Web-camera?

8. Universal Disassemblers vs. Universal MIILs

9. universal joins, universal stransmission shaft

10. Universal integer or universal expression

11. USB web cam and labview (IMAQ)

12. USB joystick in Labview