My OPC client app hangs when the OPC server dissapears from the net
Author Message
 My OPC client app hangs when the OPC server dissapears from the net

I have an application written in labview 6i that uses Datasocket to
write on a OPC Server under a TCP/IP net.
the typical URL is opc://MON1/Intellution.ABROPC/PLCL1:F15:12
The application works fine but if everything is OK in the network. But
when Labview fails to find the URL Labview hangs. I tried by many ways
to capture the error but I realized that Labview hangs inside an
external Active X call (I guess).No errors reported.
I will appreciate if you can help me to solve this problem.

Thanks

Bernardo

Sat, 12 Mar 2005 02:29:18 GMT
 My OPC client app hangs when the OPC server dissapears from the net
Bernardo,

First, are you using LabVIEW 6.0.0, or LabVIEW 6.0.2. If you are not
using the latter, please download and install this <a
href="http://digital.ni.com/softlib.nsf/webcategories/85256410006C055586256...">free
update</a>. This resolves a number of issues with ActiveX and LabVIEW.
Second, are you using the DataSocket functions in LabVIEW, or the
external DataSocket VIs from vi.lib\platform\dataskt.llb? If you are
not using the latter, then I suggest doing so as they are more robust
with OPC. There are also VIs that allow you to check if the connection
has ben dropped or not. I would suggest using that and then
reconnecting.

Randy Hoskin
Applications Engineer
National Instruments
http://www.ni.com/ask

Sat, 12 Mar 2005 22:08:42 GMT
 My OPC client app hangs when the OPC server dissapears from the net
Randy:
1.- My current version is 6.0.2
2.- I have tried both. I have ben looking into the dataskt.llb and
found that Labview hangs when the program invokes "ConnectTo" method
in INIDSCtl with a non-existing URL. You suggest that there is a
method to check if the connection has been dropped out but my problem
comes before establishing the connection. I would expect the activeX
to generate something like "Failed to establish connection" but
instead of it never returns from that situation.
Am I doing something wrong ?
Thank you for your help

Bernardo

Sun, 13 Mar 2005 03:39:50 GMT
 My OPC client app hangs when the OPC server dissapears from the net
Bernardo,

I agree with you. I will continue to look into it.

Randy Hoskin
Applications Engineer
National Instruments
http://www.ni.com/ask

Sun, 13 Mar 2005 06:15:43 GMT
 My OPC client app hangs when the OPC server dissapears from the net
Thank you Randy.
I will be anxiously waiting.

Sun, 13 Mar 2005 20:53:26 GMT
 My OPC client app hangs when the OPC server dissapears from the net
Bernardo,

After doing some more digging, I found out that this was a known issue
and is being fixed for a future release of the ActiveX control. So,
this bug has been (and/or is being) fixed, but that does not solve
today's issue. I tried playing with a watchdog VI, but that locked up
as well. I do not have a workaround at this time, but if you find one,
please post the solution. Thank you.

Randy Hoskin
Applications Engineer
National Instruments
http://www.ni.com/ask

Mon, 14 Mar 2005 03:40:58 GMT
 My OPC client app hangs when the OPC server dissapears from the net
Randy:
I appreciate very much your efforts but I need to know at least when
are you planning to release the new version. I am willing to test the
corrected software even if it is not officialy released (if this is
helpful).

Bernardo

Mon, 14 Mar 2005 05:02:45 GMT
 My OPC client app hangs when the OPC server dissapears from the net
Bernardo,

I do not have that information or would I be allowed to release it if
I did. My guess is that it will be part of LabVIEW 7 (in beta now),
but the release date for this has not yet been set (things are still
in work).

I did try searching for the version they said it was fixed in, but
since I am not a developer, and this version is really new, I do not
have access. I am sorry that I cannot be of more help right now.

You may try connecting with the DSWrite function in LabVIEW itself and
it that returns without an error, you can then connect.

Randy Hoskin
Applications Engineer
National Instruments
http://www.ni.com/ask

Mon, 14 Mar 2005 05:46:23 GMT
 My OPC client app hangs when the OPC server dissapears from the net
Randy:
Because this is a known bug may be I should have to talk with someone
of the developing team to find a solution. If there is someone with
rights to access this new information I would like to contact him.
My situation is that I sold an application based on your platform to a
big International company. They requested me as a part of the
specification that the software should made a connection with the
existing supervising software. I proposed OPC technology based on your
documentation and they accepted. But then, after setting up the system
we faced with this problem and they are requesting me an immediate
solution for a running system. They can not wait for the next version.
I can not even tell them this story.
Please let me know who is the right person to open the locks. May be
the president of the company ?

I hope you can help me to find a solution

Bernardo

Sat, 19 Mar 2005 21:16:34 GMT
 My OPC client app hangs when the OPC server dissapears from the net
Bernardo,

The best person to talk to first would be your sales person. They can
then escalate the issue up the chain faster than I can. If you know
who your local sales rep is then please contact them. If you do not,
then if you supply me with some contact info (e-mail and/or phone
number and your zip code) then I can have them contact you.

Randy Hoskin
Applications Engineer
National Instruments
http://www.ni.com/ask

Fri, 25 Mar 2005 23:16:59 GMT
 My OPC client app hangs when the OPC server dissapears from the net
Ok.
I used to purchase National Instruments products through the Internet
but I had in the past some contacts with the local support. I do not
remember the names.
The information of my company is:
My name: Bernardo Baranek
Company: Ponis SA
Address: M Rodriguez 2233
City: Ciudad de Buenos Aires
Country: Argentina
Zip: 1416
Phone: 5411-4585-0900
Fax: 5411-4585-6693

I hope you can find the right person.

Thank you and best regards

Bernardo

Sat, 26 Mar 2005 00:29:41 GMT
 My OPC client app hangs when the OPC server dissapears from the net
I am sorry to say nobody contacted me regarding to this problem. Is
there anything to do ?

Bernardo

Tue, 26 Apr 2005 00:33:39 GMT
 My OPC client app hangs when the OPC server dissapears from the net
Hi Bernardo

I heard about a fault in the nids.dll. There is a new version
4.1.2.107. If you have an old one this could be a solution. Ask the NI
support for a new version

Sun, 03 Jul 2005 22:03:40 GMT

1. OPC Error: Opto22 Server w/ Datasocket Client

2. OPC Client Demo From NI

3. DAQ <- Labview <- OPC client

4. memory issues with PLC OPC Client Read.vi

5. Memory issues with PLC OPC Client Read.vi

6. VW COM-Connect OPC-Server

7. Problems in connecting OPC-Server with LabVIEW 5.1.1

8. Retrieve an Integer array from OPC Server in Labview

9. opc server

10. An ASCII register for Modbus in OPC server?

11. comunication between opc server and a generic labview application

12. How to set OPC Server update rates with DataSocket