MAX shows my GBIP-USB Interface, but no communicatin with Labview
Author Message
 MAX shows my GBIP-USB Interface, but no communicatin with Labview

I'm using a GPIB-USB(Agilent) Inferface to communicate with my
devices.I Install the drivers form agilent and labview 6.0.2. MAX 2.0
does not show me my USB-GBIP Interface and no devices. So i have
download MAX 2.2 and now i can communicate with my devices. The
problem ist, that i can't open the VISA session in LABVIEW, so that i
can't communicate with my devices. I try to open the NI-Spy, but it
show me an error. Have erverybody a idea how can i solve this problem.
THX

Sat, 05 Mar 2005 23:06:57 GMT
 MAX shows my GBIP-USB Interface, but no communicatin with Labview
Check out this KnowledgeBase: <a
href="http://digital.ni.com/public.nsf/websearch/E56D3D4866BE0A8A8625694200...">How
Can I Use an HPIB Board with LabVIEW?</a>

Since you are using an Agilent HPIB Controller, you should install and
use the Agilent HPIB drivers (SICL), as well as Agilent VISA. (Since
you are using Agilent's drivers and configuration utility, be aware
that the setup of the hardware will not be done with Measurement and
Automation Explorer (MAX), since that is a National Instruments
hardware configuration utility. In LabVIEW, the VISA function palette
will remain unchanged (the VISA functions themselves are industry
standard). However, LabVIEW does get VISA resource names from MAX by
default, so in LabVIEW, simply right-click on any VISA name constant
and select "Allow undefined names".

Ray K
NI Applications Engineer

Sun, 06 Mar 2005 23:37:01 GMT
 MAX shows my GBIP-USB Interface, but no communicatin with Labview

Quote:

> I'm using a GPIB-USB(Agilent) Inferface to communicate with my
> devices.I Install the drivers form agilent and Labview 6.0.2. MAX 2.0
> does not show me my USB-GBIP Interface and no devices. So i have
> download MAX 2.2 and now i can communicate with my devices. The
> problem ist, that i can't open the VISA session in LABVIEW, so that i
> can't communicate with my devices. I try to open the NI-Spy, but it
> show me an error. Have erverybody a idea how can i solve this problem.
> THX

My friend at Agilent supplied the following answer.  There are suppose
to be two pictures at the end of this note, but my news group
interface
does not allow them to be added.

Les Hammer

Complete Test
PO Box 6
Loveland, CO.  80539

I understand you want to control GPIB instruments using NI LabVIEW, NI
VISA, and the Agilent 82357A USB/GPIB Interface.

This method works for me.  Perhaps you can compare your results to
this procedure, and then make progress.

1. Starting Conditions:
I start with my HP Kayak XU800 PC (single 800 MHz CPU), with an NI
PCI-GPIB+ card installed.
My Agilent 82357A USB/GPIB Interface is not connected to PC nor
instrument.
The attached Visagpib01.vi LabVIEW program is on an uninstalled floppy
disk: A:\Visagpib01.vi
I format the C: hard disk and install Windows 2000 Professional.  I
reboot.

Windows runs a Found New Hardware Wizard (for a PCI Simple
Communications Controller).  I assume that is for the NI PCI-GPIB+
card.  I click the Cancel button.  I'll run a similar wizard AFTER I
install the NI software.

2. Install NI-488.2 for Windows:
I put in my NI-488.2 for Windows CD (July 2000, 500739E-00) and let it
autorun.  I click on "Install NI-488.2 Software for Windows".  I use
the default Destination Directory: C:\Program Files\National
Instruments\NI-488.2\ .
I choose the default "Typical" installation, and complete the
installation.

Now I click on "Explore CD" and run the "SetupVisa" icon to install
NI-VISA 2.5 .  I use the default NI-VISA Folder: C:\VXIpnp\ .  I
choose the default "Complete" installation, and complete the
installation.

I click the Yes button to reboot my PC.

Now that I have installed the NI software, the NI-488.2 Getting
Started Wizard runs.  I click on "Verify your hardware and software
installation".  It found my NI PCI-GPIB+ card as GPIB0.  The Agilent
82357A will not be visible yet.  I click the Exit button.  I'm done
with this NI-488.2 Getting Started Wizard, so I click the x in the top
right of the window.

3. Install Agilent I/O Libraries for Windows:
I put in my Agilent I/O Libraries for Instrument Control for Windows
CD (L.01.00) and let it autorun.  I click the Next button a few times
until I see 2 big buttons: Full Installation & Custom Installation.
Because this is the L.01.00 release and I installed the NI VISA first,
either button would work.  But I'll be precise and click the Custom
Installation button.  I use the default Destination Folder: C:\Program
Files\Agilent\IO Libraries .  I choose "SICL and side-by-side Agilent
VISA Installation".  This will leave the NI VISA as the primary VISA,
and install the Agilent VISA as secondary VISA.  After a few clicks on
the Next button, it says the Agilent IO Libraries have been
successfully installed.  I choose neither View Readme nor Run IO
Config.  I click the Finish button.

Some Operating Systems may require a reboot here.  My Windows 2000
does not.

4. Prove NI VISA is Primary VISA:
Start button - Programs - Accessories - Windows Explorer.  Browse over
to and highlight My Computer\C:\WINNT\system32\visa32.dll .  File
pulldown menu - Properties - Version tab.  My file is National
Instrument's VISA Library 2.5.0.0 .
I click the Cancel button.  File pulldown menu - Close.

5. Plug the 82357A into the PC:
I finally plug the 82357A into my PC's USB port (any USB port).  The
standard 82357A live configure window pops up: "Agilent 82357A
USB/GPIB Interface Detected".  Because Agilent VISA is installed, the
VISA Interface Name defaults to "GPIB0".  Because I know I already
have a GPIB0 (my NI PCI-GPIB+ card), I click the Edit button and
change the VISA Interface Name to GPIB1, by clicking the nearby little
up arrow.  I click the OK button.

6. Configure NI Software to Recognize Agilent Interfaces:
Start button - Programs - National Instruments - Measurement and
Automation Explorer.  I click the OK button because I don't care when
MAX searches for new devices.  Tools pulldown menu - NI-VISA -
Passport Editor.  I put a checkmark in the "NIVisaTulip.dll - VISA
Library Passport for Tulip" line.  I click the OK button.  Because I
changed a setting, I need to click the OK button again.  File pulldown
menu - Exit to exit MAX.

7. Access an Instrument through the 82357A:
The Agilent 82357A USB/GPIB Interface should now be accessible from
NI-VISA.  With my 82357A plugged onto my HP 34401A Multimeter, Start
button - Programs - National Instruments - VISA - VISA Interactive
Control.  Below the "GPIB1 (hpib7, 82357)" line, is a line for my
instrument, "GPIB1::23::INSTR".  I double click on that "INSTR" line
to pop up a session window.  Basic I/O tab - viWrite tab, I click the
Execute button to write the default "*IDN?\n" string.  viRead tab, I
click the Execute button to read the expected
"HEWLETT-PACKARD,34401A,0,5-1-1\n" string.  I'm done, so I click the x
in the top right of the window.  File pulldown menu - Exit to exit the
VISA Interactive Control window.

8. Install NI LabVIEW Evaluation 6i:
I put in my NI LabVIEW Evaluation Software for Windows 2000/NT/Me/9x
CD (version 6i, 350778A-01) and let it autorun.  I click the Install
button.  Eventually I choose the Complete installation.  It says
LabVIEW 6i Evaluation has been successfully installed.  I click the
Finish button.  Eventually I click the OK button.

9. Run the attached Visagpib01.vi LabVIEW program:
Start button - Programs - National Instruments LabVIEW 6i.  I click
the lower left RED Start using LabVIEW button.  I click the Open VI
button and enter the File name as A:\Visagpib01 .  I close the
Controls and Tools palettes by clicking the x in the top right
corners.  Notice the resource name field of "GPIB1::23::INSTR" to use
my GPIB1 82357A connected to my 34401A at GPIB address 23.  Operate
pulldown menu - Run, and the read buffer field now says this expected
string: "HEWLETT-PACKARD,34401A,0,5-1-1".  Running the example again
simply writes over the earlier string, and so does not appear to
change the display.  The attached Visagpib01.vi LabVIEW program is
simplified from the "C:\Program Files\National Instruments\LabVIEW 6
Eval\Examples\instr\visa\SRQ Event Handling.vi" NI example program.

I attach 2 GIF files to describe the attached Visagpib01.vi program:
  Visagpib01_panel.gif
  Visagpib01_diag.gif

I hope this helps!

| Ted Cline
| IO Support
| Basic, Emerging and Systems Technologies (BEST) PGU
| Agilent Technologies
| CU-326, 815 14th Street SW, Loveland, CO 80537-6390  USA
| 800-452-4844  Customer Support (United States)
| 877-894-4414  Customer Support (Canada)
| 970-679-5260  FAX

| ftp://ftp.agilent.com/pub/mpusup/index.html  Postsales Support

GPIB and Connectivity Solutions:
  http://www.agilent.com/find/xbv_pgr_gpib

IO Libraries:
  http://www.agilent.com/find/iolib
  http://www.agilent.com/find/iolibux

VEE:
  http://www.agilent.com/find/vee

Instrument Drivers:
  http://www.agilent.com/find/inst_drivers
  http://www.agilent.com/find/inst_drivers_pnp

Mon, 07 Mar 2005 04:58:06 GMT

1. How can I use USB interface in Labview?

2. Does LabVIEW support USB 2 interface?

3. Control serial instrument using USB with VISA(by configuring in MAX)

4. MAX still shows NI-VISA 2.5 after installation of 2.6

5. TCP/IP resource alias does not show up in MAX or Express

6. USB Driver for LabVIEW

7. USB web cam and labview (IMAQ)

8. USB joystick in Labview

9. universal USB Driver for Labview

10. USB with LABVIEW

11. Machine Vision with firewire or USB camera in LabVIEW

12. USB joystick in Labview