How do i run two VI's on two computers over a ethernet link...
Author Message
 How do i run two VI's on two computers over a ethernet link...

How do i run two VI's on two computers over a ethernet link and
control from both ot them at the same time, just like PcAnywhere
connection.

I Have two computers, one of them has DAQ cards and some other
communication cards in it, this pc is in the wiring closet, i have
another PC(PC2) which is situated about 100mtrs from the main pc and
they are linked with a CAT5E 100mbps switched ethernet.

I want to control the VI's running on the main PC from PC2, I also
want to control to happen from the main pc also. I'm running about
100 -200 different VI's (25 of them are in the mem at all the times)
on the Main PC which are doing a lot of things such as aquisition,
control , monitring and logging of a Paper Manuf. Plant.

what will be the best and easiest method to accomplish the task

Sat, 13 Sep 2003 21:33:58 GMT
 How do i run two VI's on two computers over a ethernet link...

Quote:

> How do i run two VI's on two computers over a ethernet link and
> control from both ot them at the same time, just like PcAnywhere
> connection.

> I Have two computers, one of them has DAQ cards and some other
> communication cards in it, this pc is in the wiring closet, i have
> another PC(PC2) which is situated about 100mtrs from the main pc and
> they are linked with a CAT5E 100mbps switched ethernet.

> I want to control the VI's running on the main PC from PC2, I also
> want to control to happen from the main pc also. I'm running about
> 100 -200 different VI's (25 of them are in the mem at all the times)
> on the Main PC which are doing a lot of things such as aquisition,
> control , monitring and logging of a Paper Manuf. Plant.

> what will be the best and easiest method to accomplish the task

Check out VNC. It sends a local screen image to a remote computer,
much like X does for Unix. Viewers and Servers are available in a lot
of formats (Windows, Linux, other Unixes, (Mac?), Java, even
Palm). And it has a GPL license.

Johannes Niess

Sun, 14 Sep 2003 01:02:38 GMT
 How do i run two VI's on two computers over a ethernet link...
thanks, i've been using VNC for the last 3years, but this is not the
solution that i'm looking for.
what i'm looking for is that the two machines should be working
independently, and the data should be updated between them, but the
actual field control should take place from the main pc and not the
remote pc the remote pc should be able to send commands which will
show up on the main pc and what ever commands are seen on the main pc
should be seen on the remote pc. it is just like using datasockets
publish and subscribe feature and doing a enable multiple writers on
the same.(This I just found out there is not documentation on data
sockets , labview 6i documentation sucks, its horrible, non existant.
I have LV 5 and it came with soooooo much documentation(printed) that
you could do weight training with it.

Sun, 14 Sep 2003 16:25:33 GMT
 How do i run two VI's on two computers over a ethernet link...

VNC is good, but Radmin 2.0 ist better.
Remote Administrator v2.0 is much faster than VNC.

Max

--

   -> Max Wei? * Eulenweg 2 * 76356 Weingarten * Germany <-
-> Fax: 0180 505254775181 * Tel: 0175 1228001 * DB 8 MWE <-

Sun, 14 Sep 2003 13:33:16 GMT
 How do i run two VI's on two computers over a ethernet link...
You can use either datasocket: easiest way or TCP/IP: more complex but
more performant.
I do agree does not support these features as it should.
Alternatively I'd suggest a book: Internet Applications in LabVIEW
which is absolutely a must for all communications tasks.
You can find it on Amazon.

Mon, 15 Sep 2003 00:01:57 GMT

1. How to run two vi's simultaneously?

2. Two files, two linking keys

3. read two sets of data from two spread sheet files to two arrays problem

4. Two Ethernet cards at one time

5. two ethernet adapters = troubleshooting

6. Two Ethernet cards on one PC

7. How can I merge two .vi's and run them as independant but linked frames?

8. how to compare two columns in two files?

9. Writing two equal files without creating two files in dct

10. Can this be done in Clarion? (part two)

11. Two strings in two columns in Exel?

12. Same two tasks in two rendezvous?