How do I prevent a LabVIEW executable from automatically running when brought up the first time?
Author Message
 How do I prevent a LabVIEW executable from automatically running when brought up the first time?

LabVIEW excutables run automatically when started the first time. I
need to change my inputs when running the first time. So the first run
is useless without changing the input. I tried using the "STOP"
command if I do not give an input (or if the input is the default -
invalid). This works in stopping the first automatic run. And it works
in running after applying the proper input. But it stops further runs.
I cannot duplicate the error in the non-executable version. And I need
to be able to run the executable about 100 times a day (using it in a
production test program).

Sat, 07 Aug 2004 00:37:15 GMT
 How do I prevent a LabVIEW executable from automatically running when brought up the first time?
Hi,

The executable builder automatically sets the 'run when opened' by default.
To change this, in the application builder, on the 'VI Settings' tab, select the top level VI and then click
'Edit Build Settings'. A dialog box opens with a list of target settings and actions, click on the action next
to 'Run When Open' and change it to 'no'.

I hope it helps,

Tim

Quote:

> Sateesh,

> Try going into the source (the VI) and then changing the properties of
> the VI. File-VI properties-execution, and check if the "run when
> opened" box is checked. If it is, then u might have to uncheck it and
> then go ahead and go to the window appearence peoperties and
> check/uncheck the show run and stop button appropriately so that the
> exe shows the run and stop button in order for you to run it when you
> are ready.

> Another way can be using a differnt run button on the front pannel
> (see the attatchement) which will decide the execution of your
> program.

> Good luck.
> Hope this helps.

> Parikshit.

>   ------------------------------------------------------------------------
>                              Name: Run_when_enabled.vi
>    Run_when_enabled.vi       Type: labview Instrument (application/x-unknown-content-type-LabVIEWInstrument)
>                          Encoding: base64

Sat, 07 Aug 2004 04:55:48 GMT
 How do I prevent a LabVIEW executable from automatically running when brought up the first time?
If I understand correctly, you start the application clicking on the
"Run" arrow each time you want your test program done.
Indeed the Top Level VI runs by default when opening in an application
so you can't control the first run. This can't be avoided. Even if you
change the setting of the VI in the Application builder to not run
when opened, this setting is overridden for Top Level VIs.

You have to rework your user interface a little. Put all your code in
a while loop with a stop boolean button wired to the loop terminal.
Add another boolean "TEST" and a case statement that will execute the
test code when the user clicks on "TEST". In the loop add a small wait
of 100-250ms to avoid that the loop runs wild polling the booleans
when it is idle.

That is not the usual way to Run an application using the Run button.
Usually the application enters in a loop until the user put it to stop
with a stop button on the front panel. Then the application terminates
and closes its window. That is what the user expects from the standard
user interface.

Sat, 07 Aug 2004 07:41:35 GMT
 How do I prevent a LabVIEW executable from automatically running when brought up the first time?
I would agree with the previous post ... really the only point of
creating an executable is that you then are not bound by the "one
computer license" of your development system anymore. At the same time
that also implies you have multiple users and, as a courtesy to them, it
might be a good idea to have a "program", not a "hack" ...

just my $.02,

  Rudolf

Sat, 07 Aug 2004 12:47:36 GMT
 How do I prevent a LabVIEW executable from automatically running when brought up the first time?
I agree with Jean-Pierre.  That's really the way executables are meant
to work.  When I build EXEs the user never even sees the FP when its
not "running".

Sun, 08 Aug 2004 07:01:07 GMT

1. Contolling a labview executable from another labview executable

2. Error When Running LabVIEW Executable - drawmgr.cpp, line 2931

3. How do I run a labview executable from C++

4. Labview Executable with VISA functions in Run Time Engine

5. Accessing executable while running LabVIEW

6. Labview 6.1 problems with VISA when running application executable

7. automatically preventing deadlocks when using mutexes

8. preventing executable file uploads

9. Bring a Labview Application to Front

10. How to bring forward an already running program

11. How can I automatically close the DOS Window after executing the RUN command

12. How do I run a Browse automatically?