i do not want to halt main vi while executing sub vi
Author Message
 i do not want to halt main vi while executing sub vi

I am communicating with a device which supports mod bus protocol. I am
writing the data coming from the device in a file(excelsheet) . The
code for communication and writing in file is in the main vi. I am
analyzing the data in sub vi when i execute the sub vi communication
breakes .I do not want to halt commnication or file writing in the
main vi while in sub vi. Can anybody help me?

Tue, 12 Oct 2004 20:33:13 GMT
 i do not want to halt main vi while executing sub vi

Quote:

> I am communicating with a device which supports mod bus protocol. I am
> writing the data coming from the device in a file(excelsheet) . The
> code for communication and writing in file is in the main vi. I am
> analyzing the data in sub vi when i execute the sub vi communication
> breakes .I do not want to halt commnication or file writing in the
> main vi while in sub vi. Can anybody help me?

Either you are making a limited number of data captures or you have
an essentially unlimited stream.  (The output file suggests a limited
number.)

In the case of a limited number of captures, how about capturing all
of the data before you start your analysis.  Then do all analysis.
Then write out the file. If you want all your data captured at close
to the same time, this approach might be better.

In the case of an unlimited stream, either your average calculation
and write time is less than your capture rate or not.  If not and the
calculation time puts you over the limit, the calculation would have
to be done as a separate post-processing step.

Don't know about mod-bus or how you are using it, but it may help
to throttle down the data capture speed by putting "Wait Until Next
ms Multiple" in the capture loop.  Also, if you separately issue
trigger and read commands, see below.

Another problem could be that the calculation subVI is hogging the
cpu.  In this case, try putting a "Wait (ms)" with 0 (ms) input in
the/an inner calculation loop.  This may give other processes a
better chance at the cpu. You could also set File>VI Properties

Quote:
>Execution>Priority to be higher in the mainVI than in the subVI.

This might work differently on different platforms.

Mon, 18 Oct 2004 10:48:11 GMT

1. How do I use server to control for sub-vi from a main vi

2. Sub VI to main VI

3. Data transfering from sub-vi to main-vi

4. "sub vi calling main vi"

5. Sub.vi shrinking Main.vi

6. Selecting diferent sub Vi's from main VI

7. how to close a sub-vi when running the main

8. buffer to hold integer value w/sub main vi

9. Using control reference with a Sub-vi over a TCP VI Server connection

10. Using control reference with a Sub-vi over a TCP VI Server connection

11. How to stick the called vi on the same place of front panel of main VI

12. Need to place sub VI in VI a number of times