Software Development Management- How?
Author Message
 Software Development Management- How?

Hi There,

Does anyone know of a good way to manage software development (in
labview)?

I've been the only programmer in Labview at my company, so tracking
software changes wasn't too bad. We recently hired a couple of
engineers who also program Labview. Now we're at a point where there
are many versions of the same software springing up. No one here has
any knowledge of software management tools available (except a
spreadsheet program, and a magnetic marker board).

Any links or suggestions are welcomed.

Kind Regards,

-Dorian

Mon, 16 Aug 2004 01:39:01 GMT
 Software Development Management- How?
Dorian,

Having worked in several multi-developer LabVIEW situations, I HIGHLY
recommend Perforce.

Perforce is a revision control system application that costs $600 per
user.  You'll need some space on a central server to store all the
depot VIs and other files.  LabVIEW 6.1 PDS supports the interface to
Perforce directly so you can check-in and check-out VIs as you edit
them.

Check it out at www.perforce.com.

BTW - last I heard, NI uses Perforce for its own VIs and even for
LabVIEW itself.

Cheers,

Daniel L. Press
PrimeTest Corp.
www.primetest.com

Mon, 16 Aug 2004 02:15:31 GMT
 Software Development Management- How?
Have you tried to use Source Code Control tool included into Labview.
It does exactly what would you like to do - controls source code,
keeps history, automates version numbering, etc. It is alredy there in
Labview and, depending on your Labview license, is free.
 Good luck.

Mon, 16 Aug 2004 23:47:55 GMT
 Software Development Management- How?

Quote:

> Hi There,

> Does anyone know of a good way to manage software development (in
> Labview)?

> I've been the only programmer in Labview at my company, so tracking
> software changes wasn't too bad. We recently hired a couple of
> engineers who also program Labview. Now we're at a point where there
> are many versions of the same software springing up. No one here has
> any knowledge of software management tools available (except a
> spreadsheet program, and a magnetic marker board).

A critical part of any source code management is the human level:
deciding which developer will touch what VIs! Then you choose a tool.

We use MS Visual SourceSafe and it works OK for 2 developers.
I've used it on my own for 3 years.
Available standalone or as part of Visual Studio.

I also know people at a systems integrator (NI Alliance member) who use
it. They still use it for control of up to 20 developers' work.

See its home page http://msdn.microsoft.com/ssafe/ and the best
practices page
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/dnvs...
.

Best, Mark

Tue, 17 Aug 2004 11:22:13 GMT

1. SOFTWARE DEVELOPMENT MANAGEMENT

2. Project management opportunity for open-source developments

3. Development of a NEtwork Management application in Tcl/Tk

4. Freeware Dyalog APL WSS for OO/APL and software management

5. Looking for project management software

6. Garage management software needed

7. Hotel Management Software

8. Warehouse Management Software

9. Car Park Management Software Anyone?

10. source code management software for Oberon?

11. Software Management (was: something else)

12. Product Reviews (of project management software) Requested