Can LabView be used to create applications to sniff ethernet traffic?
Author Message
 Can LabView be used to create applications to sniff ethernet traffic?

I am interested in using labview to do what a Fluke or similar network
analyzer might do to detect devices, sniff traffic, check for packet
and electrical errors, etc.

It seems to me that LabView should be able to read data from a local
NIC, digitally or otherwise, like any other IO device.  Since I'm
pretty novice at this, could someone kindly enlighten me?

Thanks,

JGG

Sun, 31 Oct 2004 10:09:27 GMT
 Can LabView be used to create applications to sniff ethernet traffic?
Hi JGG,

A similar question was asked recently. See below.

http://exchange.ni.com/servlet/ProcessRequest?RHIVEID=101&RPAGEID=135...

Ben

Sun, 31 Oct 2004 21:41:08 GMT
 Can LabView be used to create applications to sniff ethernet traffic?
Hi Ben,

The original writer indicated he couldn't answer the question directly
and the application he wrote is 15 years dated.

I read about the C based API in the follow up post and it might be
worth exploring in my very spare time unless someone in the group has
actually worked with the DLL's and can speak to their ease and
practicality of use.

What I am asking, is what is built natively into Labview that provides
this functionality (or alternatively a 3rd party plug-in that takes
advantage of the Labview UI without requiring a lot of low level
coding.)

So let me re-phrase my original question to be more specific:

Are there any functions built natively into Labview (or as a 3rd party
add-in) that will provide low and  high level packet detection to
detect WAN/LAN devices, sniff traffic, check for packet and electrical
errors, etc., directly from an on board NIC?

Regards,

JGG

Sun, 07 Nov 2004 02:54:19 GMT
 Can LabView be used to create applications to sniff ethernet traffic?
Hi JGG,

I was the 15 year old app guy.

NO standard NIC card will tell you anything about electrical
interference.

It is only after the packet checksum varifies that any else can be
done. Electrical interference (bad enough to affect data) will cause a
checksum error, along with collisions.

Even the ability to look at corrupted frames requires special
hardware.

Ben

Sun, 07 Nov 2004 04:28:30 GMT
 Can LabView be used to create applications to sniff ethernet traffic?
Dear Old Timer,

(Just kidding...)  I wasn't thinking along the lines of elecrical
interference.  That would presume that NICs are analog devices (and I
have no illusions of that.) I expect that the best anyone can expect
is for the NIC to trigger a bit whenever the line voltage exceeds a
min. threshold voltage.

So we throw the NIC into promiscuous mode and detect raw bits.   Thus
bit capture, packet assembly/disassembly and manipulation with LabView
was more along the lines of my interest.

Any thoughts?

Regards,

JGG

Mon, 08 Nov 2004 12:28:56 GMT
 Can LabView be used to create applications to sniff ethernet traffic?
I built a protocol analyzer for Arcnet a year or so ago. It sounds
like this is the kind of thing that you're looking for. Something that
would throw the NIC into promiscuous mode and then display: type of
packet, who sent it, who it's to and the data being sent.

I can't send you my Arcnet Protocol analyzer to look at  since it's
specific to our proprietary protocol, but it is easy to build. I have
a protocol file on disk that is loaded into an array and any incoming
packets are decoded according to the data in the array (I hope this
isn't too confusing of an explanation). It took more time to type in
the protocol definition file than to write the program.

The only slight glitch is trying to get Windoze to ignore the network
card so you can set up your own handling of the data.

     Rob

Mon, 08 Nov 2004 22:37:57 GMT

1. sniffing HTTP traffic / sockspy

2. LabVIEW and EtherNet Drivers for PCI Ethernet cards ?

3. how to read cognex insight 1000 cell data over ethernet using Labview

4. I am trying to create a standalone in Labview 6.1

5. Is it possible to create an SDI application in LabView like in Visual C++

6. Slow termination of application created by VB after calling LabVIEW vi on DLL

8. can you create a custom filter using Labview

9. how to create virtual channels in labview without using max

10. Using CVI/labwindows application in labview

11. Receive an error when closing my program built using LabVIEW application builder

12. Passing a command to another application using Labview