How to make my own device driver visible in MAX?
Author Message
 How to make my own device driver visible in MAX?

Hi all,

i created a piece of hardware for the PC which i want to
make usable within labview.

- The hardware is Non-NI so there is no matching device driver
  available from NI.
- I want to reuse all the existing instrument drivers (VISA)
  without modifying inside these.
- I dont want to access the hardware using direct dll-calls.
- I only want to do this: "Hey VISA-object! Dont talk to this
  GPIB-card inside my PC. Communicate with my hardware" ;-)

So i need to write my own low-level device driver (NOT
instrument driver) which integrates in MAX.

But how to do this?
Any useful hints how to start?
Is there any open source project for Win32 i may modify for
my own purposes?

TIA.

Regards, Thorsten

Mon, 18 Oct 2004 19:37:50 GMT
 How to make my own device driver visible in MAX?
Thorsten:

If your card is PXI or PCI, then you are in luck because NI-VISA will
help you.  Otherwise, you cannot show your instrument in MAX.

To use NI-VISA for PXI, just get your register description manual from
the vendor and follow the instructions in this paper on our site:

http://zone.ni.com/devzone/conceptd.nsf/webmain/ADF3152837E2B4A486256...

Good luck,
Dan Mondrik
Senior Software Engineer, NI-VISA
National Instruments

Tue, 19 Oct 2004 04:55:06 GMT

1. Writing hardware driver for own device

2. Need help making device driver call C routine

3. Max+PlusII, MAX and EPF Devices

4. Real-Time Embedded OS Device Drivers for LAN/WAN Devices

5. Real-Time Embedded OS Device Drivers for LAN/WAN Devices

6. making the data file visible as the vi runs and writes to it

7. Making Variable visible in slave interpreter...

8. Making target window visible

9. making attributes visible in C wrapper

10. question: making $env visible inside a class

11. Why doesn't MAX detect my Device?

12. My own max?