Using LabVIEW to communicate with custom board
Author Message
 Using LabVIEW to communicate with custom board

Hope someone can give me some useful word...

We've (anonymous 'we') developed a custom hardware (VMEboard) that
fits into a PCI slot nicely, on a SPARCstation, and controls/DAQ from this
"device".  The GUI is written in XView, but due to its popularity, we are
deciding to choose the next GUI builder/library.  We have two choices:
Java 1.2 using SWING, or labview.
Using java and maximizing JNI has several advantage over LabView:we can use
the legacy driver, good for practicing/learning JFC for the student like
us, it's free, platform independent(and all those words from java.advocacy).

But for more rapid development, LabView is the champ, as every one of us
agreed, but then we need to write our own driver that can communicate with
LabView's driver.

Can LabView's driver talk with other driver or hardware? or can LabView
use 3rd-party driver without a hassle?

Thanks in advance,

--
           .-'''''-.
         .'         `.

        :   =/_/      :
         `._/ |     .'           (http)  kahuna.sdsu.edu/~skang/
      (   /  ,|...-'
       \_/^\/||__     It is practically impossible to teach good programming
    _/~  `""~`"` \_ style to students that have had prior exposure to BASIC:
 __/  -'/  `-._ `\_\__  as potential programmers they are mentally mutilated
/  /-'`  `\   \  \-.\    beyond hope of regeneration.         -- Dijkstra

Tue, 21 Nov 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Using LabVIEW to communicate with custom board

Quote:
> We've (anonymous 'we') developed a custom hardware (VMEboard) that
> fits into a PCI slot nicely, on a SPARCstation, and controls/DAQ from this
> "device".  The GUI is written in XView, but due to its popularity, we are
> deciding to choose the next GUI builder/library.  We have two choices:
> Java 1.2 using SWING, or LabView.
> Using java and maximizing JNI has several advantage over LabView:we can use
> the legacy driver, good for practicing/learning JFC for the student like
> us, it's free, platform independent(and all those words from java.advocacy).

> But for more rapid development, LabView is the champ, as every one of us
> agreed, but then we need to write our own driver that can communicate with
> LabView's driver.

> Can LabView's driver talk with other driver or hardware? or can LabView
> use 3rd-party driver without a hassle?

There are a number of LV users that develop drivers for their own
hardware and use them with LV.  There really isn't anything
specific about a driver that makes it a LV driver.  Even the NI
drivers are written to be called from C, and then linked into
LV using the Call Library Function node aka DLL node, or by
using CINs.  Part of this depends on how the data is passed
between the driver and the application, and part depends on
the required speed.

Similarly, there isn't any such thing as LabVIEW's driver that
was mentioned several times.  You need to develop the portion
of the driver that can access the HW and respond to interrupts
and have it loaded and registered with the system as a driver
for your HW.  You should also have the User portion of the
driver which are the functions that LV or other application
SW will call to get back the board values or to configure it.

If a driver is going to be used solely with LV, then you can
write it differently for speed or for simplicity, but even
the NI drivers such as NI-DAQ and NI-GPIB don't do that,
they are general drivers with a C interface.

Greg McKaskle

Thu, 23 Nov 2000 03:00:00 GMT

1. interfacing custom board with serial port and labview 5

2. communicating with agilent 34970A using labview.

3. Using LabVIEW to communicate with VSB (IEEE 1096-1988)

4. can you create a custom filter using Labview

5. Using Labview 5.1 to run SSR board and modules

6. Can I communicate HP34970A with Labview 5.0

7. Can I communicate HP34970A with Labview 5.0

8. Need an java script example on communicating with Labview

9. How would one communicate with a custom I/O card under Win 2000 and Labview?

10. calling custom DLL in LabVIEW

11. Another custom built DLL works partially with LabVIEW 5.1 on windows 2000

12. A custom built DLL crashes labview 5.1 in windows 2000 but worked fine in windows 98