Windows XP X OTHER Windows
Author Message
 Windows XP X OTHER Windows

I've runned a Vi that generates some senoidal signals and used the
Extract Single Tone Information.vi to retrieve the amplitude. I runned
the Extract Sngl tone 1000 times to measure the time to run that. Here
is what I got:

1.Dell Dimension 4400 P4 2GHz Windows XP - 0.235ms
2.Compaq PIII 733 MHz Windows 2000       - 0.060ms
3.Compaq P4 1,5Ghz Win 98                - 0.054ms
4.Compaq PIII 1GHz Win 98                - 0.042ms
5.Dell Dimension 4400 P4 2GHz Linux      - 0.040ms

Is windows XP that bad ? Any clues ?

Sat, 15 Jan 2005 23:17:31 GMT
 Windows XP X OTHER Windows
Clues maybe, answwers no.

Is there anything else going on with the XP system? make sure there is
nothing else runnign at the same time.

You shouyld also do the the Loop 1000 times more than once. Their
maybe some over head invloved in loading things up at first.

Hmmm 1000 X 0.236 ms? It took the XP 3.5 minutes?

You aren't doing any screen updates or anything are you?

Make sure you are timing only the loop, and not accidently timing some
other fuction as well.

XP "should not" be that bad.

There has to be another reason.

Ben

Sat, 15 Jan 2005 23:25:33 GMT
 Windows XP X OTHER Windows
I've done other tests and gotten exactly the opposite trend in the
response of the voerall system.  You say XP but don't say whether it
is XP-Home or XP-Pro.  You also don't indicate what other processes
are running concurrently and whether there are any device driver
conflicts.  I find that Dell, in particular, does a lot of OEM/VAR
nonsense and that this can present particular problems.  Also was the
XP (whatever) a native installation or an upgrade?

When upgrading to XP-Pro it critically important to use the "Clean
Install" option if you want stable and optimal performance after the
upgrade.

Hope this helps.

Sun, 16 Jan 2005 00:10:10 GMT
 Windows XP X OTHER Windows
When I run this on my systems I get a mean time value of 0.039000000

Sun, 16 Jan 2005 05:19:38 GMT
 Windows XP X OTHER Windows
Should I try  to reinstall Windows XP? You mention about some
processes running in paralell. Do you know witch ones should I disable
?

Ricardo

Mon, 17 Jan 2005 00:49:39 GMT
 Windows XP X OTHER Windows
You might want to reinstall doing a "Clean Install";however, I think
the problem more likely is a driver mismatch or some other program
running concurrently that is unnecessary.

The major problem with re-installing using a "Clean Install" is that
you will, most likely, have to also reinstall all of your other
programs and will have to relicense them as well.  And that can take a
long time.  The "Clean Install" completely replaces the contents of
the Windows folder and all of its subs....

You might want to contact NI about this before venturing down the path
of reinstalling.

Mon, 17 Jan 2005 01:25:39 GMT
 Windows XP X OTHER Windows
I did the reinstalling (I didn't installed from scratch) but the
problem persists.

Mon, 17 Jan 2005 03:28:06 GMT
 Windows XP X OTHER Windows
Did you contact NI?

Thu, 17 Feb 2005 00:15:23 GMT

1. Clarion 5 app, windows 98 and windows XP

2. windows clipboard access with windows xp

3. Help of Fortran 77 in Windows 98 and Windows 2000 or XP.

4. is tcl programs running on windows 2000 professional and windows xp gives diff results

5. XP mean Windows XP proffessional

6. windows staying on top of others

7. ANNOUNCE: Helga - ODBC,CGI,Tcl,Windows NT,Windows 95,MS Windows

8. VisualAge For Smalltalk 5.0 On Windows XP

9. APL2 - Windows XP

10. APL2, Windows XP

11. APL+Win Version 2.0 and Windows XP

12. Windows XP look in deployed apps