Sequence local = local variable?
Author Message
 Sequence local = local variable?

HI,
This should be ratehr simple to answer, I was just wondering if
sequence locals are the same thing as local variables and if not then
what are their differences?

Sat, 29 May 2004 09:08:36 GMT
 Sequence local = local variable?
Sequence locals are variables that can be acessed only INSIDE a
sequence. This variable also cannot be acessed by a frame BEFORE the
frame that generates the variable. Local variables can be acessed at
any point IN A SAME VI, different frames, whiles, cases, etc. THe
local Variable also can be readed at a point before the value of the
variable is seted. Be careful to avoid this.

Sat, 29 May 2004 20:49:12 GMT
 Sequence local = local variable?
Thanks, I guess what I really wanted to know is not how to use them
but what their differences are regarding performance. (i.e. do
sequence locals also make copies of the variable everytime I access
them thus slowing down performance like local variables?), if given
the choice of the 2 which are better to use to reduce memory use and
performance issues?

Sat, 29 May 2004 21:57:10 GMT
 Sequence local = local variable?
It's better not to use sequence structures at all and then you don't
have to worry about sequence locals. But to answer your question, I
believe that local variables are the worse of two evils.

Sat, 29 May 2004 22:34:35 GMT
 Sequence local = local variable?

Quote:
> Thanks, I guess what I really wanted to know is not how to use them
> but what their differences are regarding performance. (i.e. do
> sequence locals also make copies of the variable everytime I access
> them thus slowing down performance like local variables?), if given
> the choice of the 2 which are better to use to reduce memory use and
> performance issues?

A seuence local is pretty much the same as a branched wire except that
the code will not execute in parallel.  Local variables are really more
like additional control terminals.  They read and write to the control
on the panel.  Sequence locals are not associated with any control and
they just connect the data to upcoming diagrams.

Greg McKaskle

Tue, 01 Jun 2004 09:28:35 GMT

1. local variable and local variable in block behave differently

2. Faster: Sequence Local or Global Variable?

3. Local Procedure vs local Routine

4. writing to locals (was RE: execfile: NameError exception thrown for things in locals())

5. Embedding - Local dictionaries for local scripts

6. Local variables - lifetime and access variables [Q]

7. accessing a local variable in from a widgets -variable or -command properties

8. Beginner J questions: local variables

9. local variables in functions

10. local variables

11. Local variables in gawk?

12. timesaver scheduling templates----local variables?