Sending internet E-Mail with LabVIEW?
Author Message
 Sending internet E-Mail with LabVIEW?

Hi folks,

I'm stuck with a task that obviously wasn't foreseen when NI created the
internet toolkit for labview - I want to send E-Mail via SMTP, not only
inside our company's mail system but also to recipients with mail addresses
from other (internet) domains.

Our internet mail server (like most others, too) requires an
authentification before it allows to send mail, and since SMTP does not have
any authentification mechanisms it uses the poular "MAIL after POP"
proceeding, that is: You have to look after incoming mails first with POP
(post office protocoll), which is using a login name and password, and
afterwards your machine is allowed to send internet mail via SMTP (simple
mail transport protocoll) for several minutes.
My problem is: The internet toolkit does not offer any POP functions at all,
so sending SMTP mail to a domain different from our own one does not work!

Does anyone know where to go from here? Has any helpful soul ever
implemented POP functions with LabVIEW?!?

Many thanx,
Hans-Jrgen Philippi

Sun, 01 Dec 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Sending internet E-Mail with LabVIEW?
In info-labview group Jack Hamilton mentioned that he has done that and also
offered to share it, so you could email him for more assistance, his email

Also if you are on MS machine, then you can use Outlook to send mail using
ActiveX, it will use your default mail account, where at least in my case I
have already specified SMTP username and password.
Also you could find SMTP spec and just use that since SMTP is a plain text
protocol then it should not be too hard.
Try telneting to some SMTP server, type hello and you will see that response
is plain text.

Quote:
> Hi folks,

> I'm stuck with a task that obviously wasn't foreseen when NI created the
> internet toolkit for LabVIEW - I want to send E-Mail via SMTP, not only
> inside our company's mail system but also to recipients with mail
addresses
> from other (internet) domains.

> Our internet mail server (like most others, too) requires an
> authentification before it allows to send mail, and since SMTP does not
have
> any authentification mechanisms it uses the poular "MAIL after POP"
> proceeding, that is: You have to look after incoming mails first with POP
> (post office protocoll), which is using a login name and password, and
> afterwards your machine is allowed to send internet mail via SMTP (simple
> mail transport protocoll) for several minutes.
> My problem is: The internet toolkit does not offer any POP functions at
all,
> so sending SMTP mail to a domain different from our own one does not work!

> Does anyone know where to go from here? Has any helpful soul ever
> implemented POP functions with LabVIEW?!?

> Many thanx,
> Hans-Jrgen Philippi

Sun, 01 Dec 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Sending internet E-Mail with LabVIEW?
<< In info-labview group Jack Hamilton mentioned that he has done that [...]

Hi Reinis,

many thanks for your advice, but I found a solution in National's LabVIEW
*examples database* in the meantime. They have a ZIP archive with some POP
VIs that extend the Internet toolkit with exactly the functionality I
needed. :-)
Weird only, that a search in NI's *knowledge database* didn't yield any hint
on these POP functions at all...

Greetings,
Hans-Jrgen

Mon, 02 Dec 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Sending internet E-Mail with LabVIEW?
Seems to be an interesting topic, referring to the numerous inquiries
concerning the POP VIs I do receive... :-) Well, here's the link to the page
within the examples database:
http://digital.ni.com/explprog.nsf/75c7cd5de6d387788625663d00558a4c/e...
efc0d0b28625671e00245b42?OpenDocument

Enjoy!

Hans

Tue, 03 Dec 2002 03:00:00 GMT

1. send mail using SMTP Send Message when mail server is unknown

2. Mail() Sending Email into the Ether

3. Send Internet Mail 3.05 is released!

4. Send Internet Mail PROBLEMS

5. Send Internet Mail 3