address / irq of serial ports (labview 4.0 / windows 98)
Author Message
 address / irq of serial ports (labview 4.0 / windows 98)

I've got two serial ports in my system. Since I've a lot of extension
cards witch
need a lot of interrupts the only way Windows can manage the serial
ports is:
COM1 with irq 3 on 3F8 and
COM2 with irq 3 on 2F8.

I know this is no standard and I know also that it isn't a very good
idea to use two
time-critical serial devices sharing one irq (like a modem and a mouse
for example) but
normally I don't use the serial ports at all.
If I do, most applications run well with this.   But not so labview :-(
Port number 1 (Com 2) delivers error code 37  when I try to handle it
via the serial port vi's.
Port number 0 (Com 1) pretends to work fine (Code 0) but doesn't
recognize input data and hangs when  I try to send data...
It seems to me that the old 16bit-written-for-Win3.1-LabViewVersion4.01
give a shit on the Windows 98-recommandations where to find the
Com-Ports and tries to find'em on it's own.
Am I right with this? In case, how can I say LabView where to find the

Furthermore I heard that higher versions of LabView use the VESA-Vi's
for serial communication.
There are VESA-I/Os also in version 4.01. Is it possible to use them for
serial communication?

Bye & Thanx in advance!

Mon, 05 Jul 2004 22:53:39 GMT
 address / irq of serial ports (labview 4.0 / windows 98)
- Yes, you can use VISA for serial access ... even though you'll
probably get the same result
- A solution is to remove one serial port, especially if you don't use
it at all
- As far as I remember there are different versions of 4.01 for win3.1
and win9x ... maybe they behave different

Hope this helps

Tue, 06 Jul 2004 01:08:37 GMT

1. IRQ assignment problem on a Windows NT 4.0 system / LabVIEW 5.0.1

2. Labview though windows 98 and ISA port: Speed trouble

3. A custom built DLL crashes labview 5.1 in windows 2000 but worked fine in windows 98

4. Serial port IRQ problems

5. LabVIEW 6.1 crash on Windows 98 while performing data acquisition

6. Updating instalation/uninstalling LabView 6.0.2 on Windows 98

7. Problems with ADODB + LabView 5.1.1 + Windows 98

8. Addressing serial port

9. Addressing A Serial Port??

10. Serial port interface for NT 3.51/4.0?

11. "Out": passing from Windows NT 4.0 to Windows 2000

12. parallel port / NT 4.0 / Labview 5.0