My VI diagrams keep disappearing
Author Message
 My VI diagrams keep disappearing

Every now and then my VI diagrams disappear, meaning the VI only
consists of a front panel.  There are two developers sharing one
directory.  We try to be careful not to modify the same VI at the same
time.  When a diagram is lost, we have to restore a previous version
and rewrite code.

Sun, 12 Dec 2004 04:20:47 GMT
 My VI diagrams keep disappearing
Quote:

> Every now and then my VI diagrams disappear, meaning the VI only
> consists of a front panel.  There are two developers sharing one
> directory.  We try to be careful not to modify the same VI at the same
> time.  When a diagram is lost, we have to restore a previous version
> and rewrite code.

I've accidentaly used "Save As Application Distribution" before and that
deletes the diagrams.

Sun, 12 Dec 2004 05:46:33 GMT
 My VI diagrams keep disappearing
Unfortunatly, that's not what's happening.  We're just using the
software as usual, and all of a suden we load up the labview and find
missing diagrams.

I'm preety sure it has to do with the fact that we are both working on
the same software.  But we never work on the same VI's concurently,
we're working on different parts of the system.  Still though, when
you change one little thing in LabVIEW, it marks every other VI in
your project as modified.

Sun, 12 Dec 2004 06:31:47 GMT
 My VI diagrams keep disappearing
Are you by accident using .llb files to save your vi's ?
I would suggest to save all your vi's in subdirectories instead !

Sun, 12 Dec 2004 17:42:26 GMT
 My VI diagrams keep disappearing
No, we're not using LLB's

Mon, 13 Dec 2004 02:00:13 GMT
 My VI diagrams keep disappearing
TJ,

Unless NI would care to offer dissent, the ONLY way that your diagrams
can be removed, is either by selecting that option while saving, or
through VI Server.  Now, there is a possible way that this could be
affecting you.  If you are using any software to maintain your source
code, such as SCC, or any LabVIEW code that uses VI Server, that could
be causing your diagrams to disappear.

I would suggest the following:

Use Source Code Control.  I recommend LabVIEW's SCC, Perforce, or (god
forbid...) Visual Source Safe.  I have experience with VSS and
Perforce, and find either acceptable, though you do have to be VERY
careful with VSS.

Source Code Control will ensure that two people do not modify the
files concurrently.  But you also have to be aware of how LabVIEW
marks a VI as changed.  When you modify any subVI, ALL callers are
marked as modified.  Therefore, when you check out code, you have to
check out the caller as well.  This means that you have to be very
careful when working with multiple developers.  I strongly recommend
that a discipline be adopted to take into consideration this fact
about how LabVIEW saves.

Going back to your problem, I would suggest that you make note of
anything that may be causing this to happen.  Remember, it can ONLY
happen through VI server (the most common method) and if a VI is saved
with optinos, and the "remove diagram" choice is selected.  So, either
someone is saving the VI incorrectly, and you don't know it, or some
external program, using VI server, is removing the diagrams for you.
In either case, using SCC would prevent this disaster, and allow you
to easily go back to previous code, as well as determine the most
likely source of your problem.

It would also help if you posted all the details about your issue,
such as Version of LabVIEW, SCC if any, and any other third party
software that may be affecting this.

Good luck

Mon, 13 Dec 2004 03:28:28 GMT
 My VI diagrams keep disappearing
Well, we use LabVIEW 6.02.  Every few days, one of us loads Visual
Source Safe, and checks in all modified VI's from our shared
directory.  If a VI in our shared directory loses it's diagram, we go
into source code control and restore the last submited version.

Neither of us ever has a need to save with options, and neither of us
ever uses VI server to save a VI (with or without options).

Mon, 13 Dec 2004 07:55:20 GMT

1. Cannot open a VI: it keeps prompting me to find the VI

2. diagram/front panel windows disappear

3. Wiring diagram keeps popping up during execution

4. A VI diagram has gray scroll bars, although the front panel is normal

5. VI Diagram documentation.

6. VI metrics: diagram size

7. Retrieving a vi diagram (.llb not found)

8. Removing diagrams from the VI.lib

9. Unload DAQ Drivers in LabView but keep VI running

10. Keeping VI window from becoming topmost?

11. Connecting Class Diagram with Sequence Diagram

12. How do I make a VI disappear but still have the VI run.