Event case loses connection to data structure when data structure is modified
Author Message
 Event case loses connection to data structure when data structure is modified

I have a complex data structure (control). I use the event structure
to take actions based on changes to the data structure. I am still
developing the code and so at times I end up editing the data
structure. When I edit the data structure (I am using type
definitions) the event cases that are based on elements of the data
structure loose their connection to the event structure and I get an
error in the event structure. Is there a more elegant way to handle
events so that the data structure can be modified without loosing
previous programming?

Sat, 04 Jun 2005 21:59:07 GMT
 Event case loses connection to data structure when data structure is modified
HI Monroe,

Have you tried to use "strict type def's"?

If your structure definition is changing this may help.

Please forgive if not.

Ben

Sat, 04 Jun 2005 22:35:18 GMT
 Event case loses connection to data structure when data structure is modified
Ben,
I tried both strict and regular type defininitions. The data structure
definition is changing. However, the elements of the data structure
that the event structure is refering to are not changing.

Sat, 04 Jun 2005 22:52:18 GMT
 Event case loses connection to data structure when data structure is modified
HI Monroe,

Could you post a example with instructions telling me what to do to
see what you are seeing?

I can't guarentee I will be able to help, but I will try.

Curious,

Ben

Sat, 04 Jun 2005 23:04:03 GMT
 Event case loses connection to data structure when data structure is modified
Ben,
Thanks! I created a work around using a similar idea to what you did.
Unfortunately it takes out some of the elegance of specific code
responding to specific events. I have initiated a request with
support. My hope is that in a future release they fix this bug so that
events allow data structures to change just like the unbundle cluster
by name does.

Sun, 05 Jun 2005 01:34:04 GMT
 Event case loses connection to data structure when data structure is modified
"Unfortunately it takes out some of the elegance of specific code
responding to specific events. "

I agree 100%!

Let me know what NI says.

Ben

Sun, 05 Jun 2005 02:06:23 GMT

1. Losing data on data structure change

2. GOBO data structure library vs other data structure libraries

3. case structures -- same data/different case?

4. Pass data between subVIS using Event structures.

5. data structures versus data bases???

6. Event structure is not visible in the structures pallete

7. How to Recover from a lost connection to data

8. Add a case to a case structure programatically

9. huge data structures, {APL} and Win32

10. Data Structures for Linear Algegra / reply to another forum

11. Longevity of data structure

12. J-Displaying data structure in windows?